Gear and equipment forum

Tropical camping gear?

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi all,

I've been travelling Thailand for a while now and one option that's becoming more and more interesting is camping.

Would anyone know of any good places Were to find quality camping gear suitable for tropical climate in Thailand or Malaysia?

Also, if any of you with experience of camping in SAE has any tips, gear-, or otherwise, i would really appreciate it.

Happy trails!!

#1 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 14:10

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Time of year? When you say "camping" do you mean just going from campsite to campsite?

#2 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 18:13

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Hi,

I was thinking mainly camping occasionally in national parks and maybe "road-side" if and when that would be possible. Not sure about time of year.

//

#3 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 19:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

At leasrt speaking for where I live, this is a safe place, but I think you're asking to get robbed just camping by a roadside. Eventually that's going to go south as you obviously have money and are setting yourself up where there is no security at all. It only takes one band of punks... a fair number of kids here carry guns. Thailand is safe, but there are limits. Drunk, armed kids are on the roads at night getting home. That's how they end up shooting each other (happens in my city with some frequency). There have also been some rapes and murders in the national parks. I don't want to exagerate the risks, as Thailand is pretty safe, but I wouldn't even do this back in the US (Thailand has a higher rate of gun violence than the US does - and that's saying something) unless I were armed myself. And I am assuming that you are not going to be armed.

#4 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 09:15

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

thanks MADMAC,

Ok, camping along the road sounds like a really bad idea (and no, i wasn't planning to arm myself..)

And i realise that it wouldn't be entirely safe in a NP either, but murders and robberies happen on camp-sites and the like every year even where i'm from, and that's supposed to be one of the safest places on earth (I wouldn't agree though..but that's another story), but i wouldn't hesitate a second to put up a tent there.

But for occasional camping, would anybody know where to look for quality gear?

//

#5 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 17:28

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can fit yourself out at Chatuchak. I wouldn't say that the gear is top quality, but it should do for the time you're there. You probably won't feel obligated to take it back because you probably won't spend much on it.

I do NOT recommend camping in the national parks on weekends or during national holidays. The camp grounds are usually not subdivided into individual sites, but rather large wide open fields that resemble refugee camps. During these times the tents are absolutely wall-to-wall with loads of Thai men wandering around in full camouflage and aviator glasses, ready to deal with whatever comes their way ... like a plate of fried noodles or a bowl of tom yam from the nearby food stalls. You will not be allowed to camp in the parks except in designated areas. It's probably not a good idea to go off the beaten path in these places (like Khao Yai) anyway considering the rather large and potentially dangerous nocturnal animals that are out there (elephants, tigers, and intoxicated Thai men with guns.)

It will probably be possible to camp where you like in some parks, though, like Khao Sam Roi Yot. I saw people camping on the beach in this place and it looked excellent.

I have camped on the beaches here and there, mostly on the east coast south of Hua Hin and further down, though that was some time ago. It was often possible to pitch a tent on the fishermens' platforms where they nap and mend their nets. These get you up off of the ground. I saw some cyclists camping with just the mosquito-netted hammocks slung up between coconut trees.

Most of the time you will need your own transport to get to these kinds of places because most of them will be fairly remote. Take your own water and stock up on food. Also, as Mac said, there is always the potential that you could end up playing host to unwanted guests at unwanted times. Trying to brush off a group of drunk or stoned Thai guys (or even just one of them) can be incredibly exhausting and unnerving.

Most of the time it will be terrific, though.

#6 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 02:47

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Terrific info, thanks a bunch Tilapia!

If anyone has other tips, please add.

//

#7 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 11:56

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

My favorite place to camp in Malaysia is Taman Negara -- the parks office rents everything you need from sleeping bags to anti-leech socks. Makes the process very, very easy.

#8 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 12:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Idream
    What about weapons? I never camp without a weapon.

#9 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 09:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.