Gear and equipment forum

Based on our itinerary - What to pack? Packing list?

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Hi all

Just wondering if someone can please give me some tips/direction re what we should be packing in our packs for our trip.

Basically our itinerary is:

23FEB Singapore
    26FEB Beijing
    03MAR Xian
    05MAR Nanjing
    07MAR Suzhou
    08MAR Hangzhou
    10MAR Shanghai
    13MAR Longsheng
    15MAR Yangshuo
    18MAR Hong Kong
    21MAR Hanoi
    24MAR Halong Bay
    26MAR Sapa
    28MAR Ho Chi Minh City
    30MAR Mekong Delta
    31MAR Phnom Penh
    02APR Siem Reap
    05APR Thai Beaches
    22APR Dubai
    01MAY London

First issue to contend with is that we’re moving from New Zealand to the UK – we have two year work visas YAY!

Second issue to contend with and I guess the main thing really is that we will be going from FREEZING temperatures in China to hot, tropical weather. What do you recommend to get around this AND to keep our packs light?

We have 70L packs (excluding the 15L detachable daypack thing) so not too small, but not overly large. MacPac

Look forward to hearing some suggestions. Would love some ideas about what to include/exclude from our packing list.

Unfortunately we’re not the type who will be walking around in pants purchased from Kathmandu or outdoor/trekking stores etc. No offence, but we’re just not like that… That said, I don’t have any qualms wearing plain Marino tshirts or long sleeve shirts. We just have no intent or desire to dress like (a) stereotype budget travellers or (b) people who look like they beg on the street for their livings.

Oh and we’re doing China on a tour hence the moving around ;o) I wouldn’t be crazy enough to attempt that myself!

Look forward to hearing some ideas/suggestions!!!! We’re complete backpacking newbies so this is a fun adventure!

#1 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 05:59

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

My one tip would be to primarily pack for the cold, then when you get to Hanoi, send the cold weather stuff by surface mail to the UK (where I'm sure you'll be needing some cold weather gear LOL). Once you're in the warmer climes cheap, light clothing is widely available and you need not look like a hippy -- cheap cargo pants/jeans and tshirts and widely available.

85 litres is a lot of space -- fill that and you'll know all about it!

#2 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 08:22

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

We'll prob get rid of some stuff in Hong Kong - probably a bit more reliable over Vietnamese post!!

I'm going to not put much in the daypack so that really does leave me with a 70L pack. I hear what you're saying re weight though! I don't particularly want to lug a heap of stuff around, but we looked at a 60L pack (well 75 with daypack) and decided the extra 10L was worth having for this trip - it doesn't matter if we don't fill it up in the future.

#3 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 10:46

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I dont understand this; "Unfortunately we’re not the type who will be walking .... purchased .... outdoor/trekking stores etc. No offence, but we’re just not like that"

You're essentially shooting yourself in the foot here. If you went out and bought a decent thermal, fleece and gortex shell you'd be all set for freezing China and i bet that weighs alot less than your alternative. I'm not sure about all of China but i think when it's cold it usually rains/snows too. Anything other than gortex will probably get wet through and not dry off very quickly either.

I'm aware you only mentioned "pants" so that could mean you do have the above suggests already. I'd say you're also missing a trick with the pants as well. Outdoor trekking pants - the clue is in the name surely? Won't you be outdoors for most of the time? and i bet you'll be walking lots too? You can get those zipper ones that are trousers and shorts...they sound pretty good for cold and hot weather don't they!

Also, if you're moving to the UK then gortex coat and fleece will come in VERY handy, well worth the investment. I think last summer we had 2 weeks of actually 'summer' then the sun went in and it rained. We have a repuation for bad weather with good reason.

Hope that helps

#4 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 17:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"if we don't fill it up in the future."

Famous last words ;-)

#5 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 09:34

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Empty spaces fill themselves when you're not looking. Take a smaller bag. Ship stuff home en route, or pick up an inexpensive bag along the way. You can't go 100 metres in SE Asia, it seems, without running into a shop selling decent quality packs and such.

Alternately, here's an old rule of thumb:
    Pack everything you think you'll need.....then take out half.

Bon Voyage!

#6 Posted: 31/1/2010 - 13:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
My packing list ... By Briareos on 22 Dec 2011 11 3209 29 Dec 2011
Packing list for Java, Bali and Gili -- what do you think? ... By travelinchen on 20 Jul 2011 17 6612 23 Jul 2011