Gear and equipment forum

Proof of Vaccines at Borders

• Drapes1

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Hi Folks

I'm planning a trip through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore and Bali next month and I've already got all the appropriate vaccines (Hep A, typhoid, dyptheria, tetanus and malaria tabs). Somebody told me that you may need to provide proof of these vaccines at some border crossings. Does anyone know if there's any truth in that at all?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 04:47

• Advertisement

• cdnexplorer

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2009

I was never asked for proof of vaccination when crossing the Thai or Malaysian borders, but I can't speak for the other countries. I'll assume you're getting those vaccines anyways, so I would just bring the appropriate documentation to be safe.

#2 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 06:59

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 200

To add to that I've never been asked at any of the Lao/Vietnam/Cambodia borders that I've crossed either. I believe it has been falsly used as a scam by official to extort extra money from travellers but it's not required so hold tight. The only exception would be if you have recently been travelling in a country with Yellow Fever (ie some South American or African countries - there's none in Asia) when producing your certificate would be required.

#3 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 08:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Never, ever been asked.

#4 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 08:47

• Drapes1

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Ah that's good to know, thanks for the quick replies guys

#5 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 21:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I recently did the Vietnam -> Cambodia crossing, and wasn't asked for any proof. However, I was handed a form as we left Vietnam asking me health-related questions (have you been coughing, sneezing, etc). I just ticked the boxes and some guy collected the forms without even looking at them.

Haven't been asked to produce anything at airports, either.

#6 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 22:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.