Gear and equipment forum

What sort of torch (flashlight) would you buy?

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

Would you buy a metal torch, like a Maglite or a plastic one, e.g. a Pelican.

Both in Bangkok are around the same price.

Are the metal ones as strong as the new plastic types and are they as weatherproof as well?

#1 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 17:03

• Advertisement

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

if its a real maglite [not a copy] i'd go for this one

maglites are the best, durable, long lasting, you can unscrew the head and turn it into a lamp...

i have a metal maglite which has done okay in rain but generally i put it in my sleave when it rains so it has protection. I wouldn't risk letting it feel the full force of any rain

#2 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 20:30

• tonysouth

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011

What size torch/flashlight do i need to bring with me? The large ones are quite heavy and i woudl prefer to just get the mini one (http://www.amazon.com/Maglite-M2A01H-Flashlight-Holster-Combo-Pack/dp/B00002N6SN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307120868&sr=8-3) if possible.

Would that work or do i need something larger?

#3 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 00:11

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I travel with a headlamp. They are usually quite small and more useful than a torch as you have your hands free - so good for reading, late night restroom visits, and walking with two beers.

As an example - but there are any number from very cheap to high end:
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=headlamps&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1215&bih=644&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5390989232710508410&sa=X&ei=kXnpTc6EDIqCvgOSstnfDw&ved=0CIoBEPMCMAQ

#4 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 07:18

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

My first choice is an LED head lamp.
    An LED flashlight is my second choice.

I find the headlamp more useful because it leaves both hands free.

#5 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 08:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.