Gear and equipment forum

Are padlocks and chains essential?

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello,

Planning a trip to Indochina, we´d like to know how many of you used padlocks and chains to secure your bags in hotels, boats, trains, buses, to lock hotel rooms, hotel windows, etc, as for us it feels strange to get to a place/transport and show our absence of trust in people.

Is the use of padlocks a basic rule, is it really safer for belongings, don´t people look at you as the arrogant westner?

Thanks for your replies!

#1 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 07:15

• Advertisement

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

I always take a couple of padlocks with me, really only to keep my bags zips secure while they're on planes (im way more distrustful of baggage handlers than anyone else) and on trains when i want to sleep which is the only time i actually padlocked my bag to something. I've never encountered somewhere where id felt a need or want to add extra locks to windows or doors.

I cant imagine anyone thinking 'arrogant westener' at all, safety conscious is safety conscious its not a western hemisphere thing, everyone wants to keep their belongings safe. Plus if your staying somewhere with room cleaners or something they have seen it all, padlocked bags wont be anything new to them and if anything was new to them they would probably just have a little giggle about it.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 07:58

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I've never used them...

#3 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 10:49

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

Hi Indoluso

My husband and I bought padlocks for our backpack and bigger bag, and a bike chain to attach the bag to the bed when we went out. We did this in Bangkok (the bag-bed thing) but then didn't even bother anywhere else (Siem Reap, Koh Chang or Koh Mak... or when we came back to Bangkok). We kept the padlock on the bag, though it wasn't always locked, and it wasn't tethered to anything.

We also stopped using the combination lock on our main compartment of our backpack as it was a pain in the butt and took too long to get our wallets, etc out. We did leave the smaller compartment, containing only our passports, locked though. We didn't have anything stolen.

So I guess it depends where you're staying. If you're staying in big cities, I'd carry your passports on you and get a padlock to secure that compartment of your backpack, and I'd get a padlock for your main bag (if you have more than one). If you're staying in not-so-great hostels, I'd get the chain as well. But if you're staying in reasonably nice places I wouldn't bother with the chain (it was just one more thing for us to have to carry!). I would DEFINITELY recommend padlocking your bags when travelling (overland or by air) though.

I hope this helps.

#4 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 11:32

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

Oops, realised I wasn't very clear.

I should have said that you should always have your passports on you (or in your hotel safe, if you think they're trustworthy...) and that if you're in a big city I would be more conscious of being pickpocketed while walking around (so would make sure that the passports are very secure - locked - in your backpack).

The chain is optional, depending on where you're planning on staying and what you're planning on taking with you. We just took, besides clothes, etc, a camera - and we always had that on us anyway, so there really wasn't anything to steal.

#5 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 11:37

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello all!

Thank you very much for your answers, helped alot!

Cheers!

#6 Posted: 23/1/2010 - 01:12

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

You're welcome - have an awesome time!

#7 Posted: 23/1/2010 - 14:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.