Gear and equipment forum

The carry on debate

• super_colli-
    der

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2010

Hi there,

So I'm heading out on my first long term travel adventure this November, still a while yet, but can't wait.

From reading the various posts regarding travelling with just a carry on, I'm still undecided. I really want reports from people who have done this. I understand size limitations vary, but curious to know how many people have had their hand luggage weighed and if so whether problems have been encountered.

I'm starting in India and taking it from there, on my list of possible destinations are Vietnam, Loas, Cambodia, Burma, Indonesia and the Philippines. in terms of time, I guess until my money runs out, but realistically 6-9months

Ideally I would like to take the largest capacity backpack that will pass as hand luggage.

I would be most grateful for any responses from people who have just taken a carry on. I don't mind being conservative with the amount of clothing, but I will be taking a heavy 35mm camera that i can't face leaving!

Thanks

Joe

#1 Posted: 4/2/2010 - 05:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I generally just take one small pack when travelling alone, this isn't the exact model, but it is very close: Victorinox pack. Into this I can easily fit my laptop, a couple of changes of clothes, some notebooks and all the cabling chargers etc. If I take a digital SLR it will just fit in, but I prefer to carry it on my shoulder.

A bag like this easily gets on as carry on for flying and capacity wise is about 40 litres. I wouldn't want to go much smaller than this.

#2 Posted: 4/2/2010 - 08:40

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Yeah you can bring a pretty large bag as a carry on in most cases. I used to bring a large backpack as a carry on without any problem. Now I actually use a DJ bag that's meant for holding records, a laptop and such - much smaller than a big backpack but still plenty big. Then I bring a small camera bag as well, which actually fits into the DJ bag if I need it to. One issue is that you can't (or at least you couldn't last time I travelled) bring any liquids (i.e. shampoo, toothpaste, shaving cream, etc.) in your carry on. So you either need to check those things in a small bag or just buy new stuff after every time you fly. Although, while this is definitely still the case in the US and probably UK, they may have loosened this policy in Asian countries by now.

#3 Posted: 4/2/2010 - 10:50

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

When im fortunate enough to get a sort of 'home base' in Thailand i just take a smallish pack (40l though norm half full) around which can easily be carry-on infact when checking into a flight the person behind the desk always assumes i have no check in luggage (i do check in the bag though as i dont take anything remotely valuable).

Using various airlines such as AirAsia, NokAir, Bangkok Airways, JetStar, Qatar, emirates and Cathay in the region none have ever weighed my carry on they have made sure its within the measurements they give for carry-on (qatar/bangkok/jetstar). They did this just before boarding though i had to repack my bag and pull the straps as tight as i could before they let me onboard when my bag didn't fit. Some people were forced to put everything into plastic bags or have their bag checked into the hold.

My parents just came back from Thailand and Hong Kong and they said that liquid were still banned and was infact stricter than previous years with things bought after checking in not being alloud through security/boarder in Bangkok and Hong Kong.

#4 Posted: 4/2/2010 - 11:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I really think people should follow the rules issued by the airlines. IT puts everyone in a difficult position if you bring on a carry on that can't be stowed properly. Just find out what the measurements and weights are, and go with that.

If you can't fit what you want within those parameters, then just check a bag. It's not a big deal.

#5 Posted: 4/2/2010 - 15:35

• wanderlust2-

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2010

Question to the group -

Understanding that each airline may have different limitations, what would you say is the largest size bag that will be allowed as carryon luggage? 40L? 50L (but not stuffed full)?

Thanks!!

#6 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 23:20

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Most airlines have a 7kg weight limit for hand luggage but my hand luggage has never ever been weighed (thank god).

It's size the matters. Hand luggage has to fit into the overhead lockers or under the seat. I have a 40L backpack that always gets on as hand luggage OK. Last time I flew it was full of heavy stuff and weighed about 12kg but no one batted an eyelid.

#7 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 03:24

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

+1 for that Mac

#8 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 06:58

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I carry a 50/55 L bag that when full still fits in a jumbo-jet overhead compartment. Along with that I always have a side bag to keep camera, maps, reading materials in for the duration of the trip. You are aloud both and neither has ever been weighed.

However, when taking prop planes that same 50 L bag has to be checked as the overhead compartments are much smaller - and if flying around SE Asia you will find yourself taking much smaller planes. For example the plane from HCMC to Phu Quoc could never take even a 35 L bag in the overhead.

#9 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 09:49

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes, baggage allowances do vary according to the type of plane. Some small propeller planes in the more remote corners of Indonesia only allow 10kg of luggage, whether or not it's checked in. In the Philippines some airlines have a weight limit for passenger+bags... ie they weigh passengers along with their luggage!

#10 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 15:11

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

that explains all the cute thin filipino singers here in shangahi

#11 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 15:47

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

I second --- third, actually --- what Mac said above.

Meanwhile, here are the criteria for a couple of airlines:

Asiana: 40cm x 55cm cm x 23cm, 115cm total; 10kg or less.
    United Airlines: 23cm x 36cm x 56cm, 114cm total; weight unknown.
    Viet Nam Airlines: 36cm x 56cm x 23cm, 115cm total; 7kg or less.

Other airlines are even more restrictive (Lao Airlines, for example).

I can't imagine that a 50L backpack would pass muster as carry-on, but I've seen some hefty bags hauled into airplane compartments. As someone else said above, I've never had a carry-on bag weighed.

Nonetheless, checking - esp. once you're in SE Asia - isn't that big a deal. Do think of all the other folks wanting to get a bag in the overhead. Fall-out from too many trying to take on too much? One US airline has now announced that they will charge USD45 - $45! - for each carry-on bag. Crazy.

#12 Posted: 16/4/2010 - 09:58

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Slightly off topic...

I flew Singapore airlines a couple of weeks ago and the checked in baggage allowance in economy class on an A380 to Europe was only 20kg.

Singapore Airlines passengers to the US and Canada are allowed 2 pieces of baggage each weighing 23kg.

How come the checked in weight allowance on flights to/from the US and Canada is more than double what is is elsewhere on the planet? Do planes float better when they're within N/American airspace?

#13 Posted: 16/4/2010 - 11:45

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

SBE...We're fatter, hence bigger and heavier clothes.

#14 Posted: 16/4/2010 - 12:57

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Speak for yourself, neosho.

#15 Posted: 16/4/2010 - 20:38

• Jleef

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I took carry-on luggage only when I flew to Bangkok earlier in the year. Although my backpack (Osprey Porter 46) is designed to be the maximum carry-on size, it was heavier than the maximum 7kg weight allowance. The guy at the (Etihad) check-in desk had me weigh it, and even after asking me to remove my laptop (as that would be scanned separately) it came to 10kg. He didn't seem to mind though and let me through, so I guess even if you are unfortunate to be weighed it's still at the staff's discretion.

I'd suggest you keep all the breakable stuff together in your main bag, even if it's just in a carrier bag, so at least if the worst happens you can quickly remove the valuable stuff to take on board with you and have your bag checked in there and then.

#16 Posted: 28/4/2010 - 04:24

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Good piece of advice, Jleef.

#17 Posted: 28/4/2010 - 04:47

• bedu

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 15

After first coming to Asia over 10 years ago with a suitcase and a rucksack and a carry on bag, all for a 10 day trip, I learnt the very hard way that overpacking then shopping for souvenirs was not a good idea.

Even only 5 years ago, I arrived with a 90 litre bag, albeit for a 4 month trip.
    As I'm lucky enough to live in Thailand, now if it's less than a week, I'll only use a 30 litre bag.

Check this out, it has some good advice,

http://www.travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm

#18 Posted: 4/5/2010 - 11:02

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ caiyanxin: Abercrombie & Fitch? WTF?

#19 Posted: 28/6/2010 - 19:47

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Very strange that Somtam hasn't zapped this spammer geezer yet.

I can only conclude that he's spending WAY too much time toning his sixpack on a surfboard these days. Either that or he's had a crashing hangover for the last 48 hours.

:-)

#20 Posted: 30/6/2010 - 15:25

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Wow, that worked well.I blinked and the spammer was gone!

#21 Posted: 30/6/2010 - 15:31

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Just in case the original poster is considering travelling with some sort of bag that is not a backpack, I'd say don't. I once travelled for 3 months with a stupid sling over the shoulder bag that was a pain. Those two shoulder straps backpacks are precious even if you won't be humping* your pack that often.

*(not humping in the biblical sense).

#22 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 17:56

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

I see the "Abercrombie" guy is back.

SBE: perhaps if you blinked again?

:)

#23 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 20:58

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

thanks very much for the http://www.travelindependent.info/index.htm
    be very help-ful for me to read.

now just wondering with regards to carry-ons in SE Asia, now i know here in Canada and the United States, certain liquids, body spray or any type of containers carry something are not allowed and you will have to dis-pose of them before entering the plane...

since most of you have had your back-pack as a carry-on, i'd assume you guys carried all sorts of products with you as well, body spray, shampoo, tooth-paste, razor blades, sun-screen, list goes on with personal grooming products, and had no issues?

thanks

#24 Posted: 28/12/2010 - 09:23

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Ryder,

I bring a small deo stick, a small tube of gel soap, and a small tube of toothpaste in case of any delays. So these are small amounts that pose no problems for security checks.
    There was no issue with the razor (one of those multi-bladed types) nor with the nail clipper. A small packet of baby wipes is also handy.

Everything else I buy in the country of travel.

#25 Posted: 28/12/2010 - 15:16

• rachelalex

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2014

id really like to know what pac you decided on and if you had any problems taking it on as hand luggage as I want to do the same thing too Joe :)

#26 Posted: 24/2/2014 - 11:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.