Gear and equipment forum

non-leather sandals

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Hey guys,

I am looking for some sandals for 8-12 month trip through SEA later this year.

I am wondering if anybody knows of any brands that make good non-leather sandals and if there are any preferable materials or materials that I should avoid for comfort/climate reasons. They will be for everyday wear and light trekking.

Thanks a lot!

#1 Posted: 8/2/2010 - 09:03

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The best quality sandals I have seen are all made with leather. If that irritates your though, I'm not sure what I'd recommend. I don't like sandals at all, I always wear shoes.

#2 Posted: 8/2/2010 - 14:14

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks Madmac, I'll keep shopping around.

#3 Posted: 9/2/2010 - 05:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Wish I could be more help. There are guys who do know this subject well. Hopefully they can help you more.

#4 Posted: 9/2/2010 - 18:38

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

I once wore sandals which were made mostly of leather, killed my feet entirely sweat/moisture mixed with leather is never fun.

Most outdoorsy brands (karimore/merrell etc) make sandels more intended for heavy usage which i'd imagine you'd need and from what i've seen they rarely include leather and if so normally fake or immitation leather.

You could also join the crocs obsession?

I dislike sandals/flipflops/crocs alot and prefere a light shoe/trainer i'd rather damage my shoes that my revealed feet.

#5 Posted: 9/2/2010 - 20:45

• Dylan

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

In addition to my (leather) sandals, I rocked these Keens on my 3-month trip in SE Asia...very breathable and quick-drying. Nice to have toe protection for caving and motorbiking, especially. And not nearly as nerdy looking once they're on your feet.

#6 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 00:11

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks for your feedback guys. I will definately be bring some light trainers for treking, biking etc but also need some sandals just for beach/markets and stuff.

The keens didnt look too bad and I'm not that concerned about looks or being 'fashionable' but I can't stand crocs... not that I judge those in said croc obsession :P

I found a pair of non-leather birkinstocks online so I think I have found my sandals!

Thanks for your input everyone xx

#7 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 04:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.