Gear and equipment forum

Keeping your bags close to you

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

I have not seen this question begin addressed to directly so really hope to get some answers.

I plan to travel with only a carry-on backpack for my trip in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand.

When travelling on bus or boats, am I allowed to keep my backpack with me or do I have to surrender it for storage (on the top of the bus, baggage compartment, backpacks corners on the boats, etc).

I will not leave any valuables in the backpack. They will either be stuff somewhere in my clothes or in a small crossbody bag. My backpack will only contain clothes, etc. But still I would feel better if my backpack can stay with me at all times while travelling.

Appreciate answers/advices.

#1 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 16:11

• Advertisement

• McPint

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2009

Hello,
    My advice is for you to pack lightly, for a week, regardless of the time you’ll be travelling for.

You can wash your clothes along the way – it will dry fast. I had soap, a rope and some clothes-pegs with me. Or just go to the laundry (usually cheap)

I was 3 weeks in Laos with a 40 l backpack (and it was not full).
    I’ve always stayed with the backpack near me – except in a long boat trip (it went under the deck)

Less is definitively more...

P.S. It’s hot in SE Asia so skip the sleeping bag - go for the much lighter and less bulky sleeping sheet.

PS2 I had also an (empty) small backpack inside the main one. It is handy if you stick to a (secure) base camp for a while and go for a spin nearby (up to a couple of days out).

Have a good trip

Pedro

#2 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 17:50

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hi Wombatfuz!

If you've only got a small backpack you might get away with keeping it near you but most of the time on buses/boats the bags have to be stored properly while you travel. To be fair, if everyone had their backpacks by their side all the time it would get pretty cramped!

I didn't have a single problem in 3 month I was travelling Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia. Maybe I was plain lucky, but I actually had people running after me in the street on a couple of occasions to return stuff I'd forgotten! I think that as long as you retrieve your bags as soon as you arrive at destination & use your instinct you'll probably be OK.

Good luck!
    FSH

#3 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 17:53

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

You're going to have to give it up. Safer for when you get on and off to eat and whatever anyway.

Bring your old beater backpack, don't wear expensive clothes and flash lots of gadgets. Be aware of your surroundings.

#4 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 20:24

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Yeah some busses will allow you to keep a semi-large backpack with you but not most - busses are generally pretty cramped in Asia. Just make sure to keep your true valuables (passport, money, ATM card, camera, etc.) on you at all times. I always keep a small bag that stays with me no matter what. Yeah it would suck if someone stole the bag with your toothbrush and dirty laundery from the bottom of the bus, but chances are it wouldn't happen and if it did, well then someone gets a toothbrush and some dirty laundery and you go spend $10 on some new clothes, which are dirt cheap over there. Somsai's advice to not be flashy nad to be aware is very good advice.

#5 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 02:17

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

Thanks everyone for the answers and advices. Now I have a much clearer picture.

#6 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 09:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.