Health and safety forum

Rabies

• mrnice88

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2010

hey.ill be travelling to thailand/laos/vietnam/cambodia.
    ive done a litle bit of research on rabies. but im just wondering wether it is worth me getting my jab.im not really planning on touching any animals or working around them.obviously i dont know wether a dog is going to take a shine to my arm or not. any opinions welcome, many thanks

dan

#1 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 20:21

• Advertisement

• nurseratched

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2010

hi dan,

i recently went for jabs. the doctor at the travel health centre didn't recommend the rabies jabs as it only gives partial cover. it also requires 3 jabs which are expensive. either way with or without the jab rabies requires hospital treatment. hope this helps.

have a great trip!

#2 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 22:35

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

The essential shots are hepatitis A and B and typhoid fever. The rest, like rabies or japanese encephalitis aren't needed if you aren't going to work with animals. One can't be imunised against everything, otherwise we wouldn't leave our home. :)

#3 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 22:53

• mrnice88

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2010

many thanks for the quick reply guys. its has sold me on the idea of not getting the jab and saving myself some pennies. many thanks

dan

#4 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 02:10

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Just remember that rabies don't only come from dogs. You can also get them from monkeys, and in my view, that's the bigger risk. They are everywhere esp around the temples where dumb tourists feed them bananas. They are not afraid of people and in fact, will make a grab for your belongings if you have unsecured stuff like sunglasses, hats, etc.

Many people tend to think the monkeys are cute, try to catch them, etc. Although I'm not afraid of them, I do tend to avoid them. Just check out their teeth!. I was wandering around a temple in Ulu Watu (Bali) and doing my best to avoid the 100's that are milling about there. I missed seeing one on top of a a wall that I walked past. He reached out and grabbed my ponytail and wouldn't let go. No damage done other than the initial fright.

So.. I'm not suggesting you need a rabies shot. But just be aware that there are other sources of rabies besides dogs.

#5 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 04:06

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Quite so, busylizzy!

I would also say that, in the unfortunate instance of getting bitten by some creature, do not hesitate to seek medical care immediately. And by this, I mean getting the rabies immunizations. Unless, I suppose, you can wrestle the animal into a clinic for rabies testing. Which seems unlikely. If you get to the point where you begin to exhibit symptoms, it's too late.

#6 Posted: 12/5/2010 - 09:54

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

This is why you don't tease the monkeys! And if YOU do plan to tease the monkeys, get your rabies shots first!

"Tourist savaged in monkey madness"
    http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/tourist-savaged-in-monkey-madness/story-e6frfq80-1225881259718#ixzz0sl8WO7Gd

#7 Posted: 5/7/2010 - 07:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.