Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

Rabies

Posted by mrnice88 on 11/5/2010 at 20:21

hey.ill be travelling to thailand/laos/vietnam/cambodia.
ive done a litle bit of research on rabies. but im just wondering wether it is worth me getting my jab.im not really planning on touching any animals or working around them.obviously i dont know wether a dog is going to take a shine to my arm or not. any opinions welcome, many thanks

dan

#1 mrnice88 has been a member since 21/4/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by nurseratched on 11/5/2010 at 22:35

hi dan,

i recently went for jabs. the doctor at the travel health centre didn't recommend the rabies jabs as it only gives partial cover. it also requires 3 jabs which are expensive. either way with or without the jab rabies requires hospital treatment. hope this helps.

have a great trip!

#2 nurseratched has been a member since 30/3/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by Indoluso on 11/5/2010 at 22:53

The essential shots are hepatitis A and B and typhoid fever. The rest, like rabies or japanese encephalitis aren't needed if you aren't going to work with animals. One can't be imunised against everything, otherwise we wouldn't leave our home. :)

#3 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by mrnice88 on 12/5/2010 at 02:10

many thanks for the quick reply guys. its has sold me on the idea of not getting the jab and saving myself some pennies. many thanks

dan

#4 mrnice88 has been a member since 21/4/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by busylizzy on 12/5/2010 at 04:06

Just remember that rabies don't only come from dogs. You can also get them from monkeys, and in my view, that's the bigger risk. They are everywhere esp around the temples where dumb tourists feed them bananas. They are not afraid of people and in fact, will make a grab for your belongings if you have unsecured stuff like sunglasses, hats, etc.

Many people tend to think the monkeys are cute, try to catch them, etc. Although I'm not afraid of them, I do tend to avoid them. Just check out their teeth!. I was wandering around a temple in Ulu Watu (Bali) and doing my best to avoid the 100's that are milling about there. I missed seeing one on top of a a wall that I walked past. He reached out and grabbed my ponytail and wouldn't let go. No damage done other than the initial fright.

So.. I'm not suggesting you need a rabies shot. But just be aware that there are other sources of rabies besides dogs.

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Archmichael on 12/5/2010 at 09:54

Quite so, busylizzy!

I would also say that, in the unfortunate instance of getting bitten by some creature, do not hesitate to seek medical care immediately. And by this, I mean getting the rabies immunizations. Unless, I suppose, you can wrestle the animal into a clinic for rabies testing. Which seems unlikely. If you get to the point where you begin to exhibit symptoms, it's too late.

#6 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Posted by busylizzy on 5/7/2010 at 07:19

This is why you don't tease the monkeys! And if YOU do plan to tease the monkeys, get your rabies shots first!

"Tourist savaged in monkey madness"
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/tourist-savaged-in-monkey-madness/story-e6frfq80-1225881259718#ixzz0sl8WO7Gd

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.