Health and safety forum

Last Minute Japanese Enceph. Advice

• reef829

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2010

I've searched the forum a good bit, but haven't found anyone w/ a similar situation yet.

I'll be in SEA for 4 months and am planning on doing a good bit of treking in Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Malaysia (Borneo). I am debating whether I'll need the Japanese Enceph. shot. I'm also going in the rainy season (JUne - Oct) when the chances are higher. The other problem is that I have to get the 2 shots 28 days apart and I will be out of the country by the time i need the next shot. Anyone w/ similar experiences in rural/jungle areas doing the same activities have any thoughts on this?

I am getting the following, since my insurance covers a good bit of these:

Hep. A
    Flu (H1N1)
    Msls, Mumps, Rub.
    Menengitus
    Polio booster
    Rabies
    Tetanus
    Typhoid

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 08:41

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello,

In my opinion you are doing to much. Rabies and japanese encef. are only needed if you'll be working with animals or in the case of jap en. if you'll be sleeping for a long period next to a chicken farm or some kind of place like this. Even in trekking I don't think that the chances of beeing bitten by an animal (in the case of rabies) are high enough to do the shot. As someone said in another post, you'll need medical assistance even though you had the shot. With Hep. A and B, polio+tetanus and typhoid you should be fine. Flu (H1N1) was very much debated around here as it was said that it had a dangerous combination of the worse of the normal flu (deadlier than H1N1) and H1N1 (more contagious). Therefore I'd say Flu H1N1 and Menengit. are unecessary and these Msls, Mumps, Rub. I've never heard about them.

Hope that it helps!

#2 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 16:37

• tatham

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2010
    Location South Africa

reef829 -- I am about to embark on exactly the same trip (maybe we'll even get to meet up at some stage!). I have had all the jabs you had except for the flu jab, but I am considering getting the JE jab as well. I only leave for SEA on 13 July, so there is still some time. The travel clinic that I went to for the jabs told me pretty much what Indoluso says above - that I don't need it unless I'll be living with farm animals - but I guess if you are going to be around rice paddies, then all it takes is one bite, right? You still need to get to a clinic once the symptoms start anyway, but the jab helps a lot I hear.

Personal choice I guess, but I think (after reading a particularly gruesome post on bedbugs...) that I'll opt to try and put up shields against things that I can before I leave.

#3 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 19:03

• Chrisalie

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2010

I just wanted to put my two cents in here as frequently I read rather than post...

I spoke with my travel doctor who advised me that chances are you won't get it and never even be exposed but he has seen 2 very bad cases where his patients had adverse reactions when they did not take the shot and now have brian damage. The diease is not such that I would not want to mess around, most people just get a very bad cold/flu like symptoms and are fine. HOWEVER there are the 5% or so of people who get brain swelling and extremely high fevers. I personally never wanted to take the risk over just a couple hundred dollars. Just my thoughts :)

#4 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 02:31

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi!

I think that a nice idea would be for people who have already been in SEA to say whether they did or not the Japanese Encephalitis jab. Unfortunatly "helpfull" or "not helpfull" signs were taken but perhaps people can just say whether they did or not as a post.

Cheers!

#5 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 03:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Last minute trip advice ... By nicnak13 on 22 Jul 2013 13 2498 9 Aug 2013
last minute advice. leaving sunday! ... By dsojka on 31 Jan 2009 0 2131 31 Jan 2009
Last minute advice re Bali route ... By johnno on 11 Apr 2013 4 1741 12 May 2013
Last minute advice for trip needed ... By travelinchen on 19 Jul 2011 14 2922 23 Jul 2011