Health and safety forum

Confuse Dengue Fever for Malaria?

• tatham

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2010
    Location South Africa

Hi All,

My 4 month traverse across SE Asia is fast approaching. One question I have after reading all the posts on Malaria and Dengue Fever is how you can actually tell you have Dengue Fever as opposed to Malaria.

For instance, if I am in deepest darkest Vietnam and I come down with a fever, headaches etc (ie: symptoms that could point to either Malaria or Dengue), how will I know what I have? For Dengue, you generally does up on paracetamol and rest, but if it's Malaria then you had better get to the closest quality medical clinic ASAP (which would mean curtailing the trip).

I don't want to rush off to a clinic each time I come down with fever or headaches / sweats & chills, so how do you self-diagnose yourself (which I know is impossible to get 100% correct)?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 18:33

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

While I've not had either, friends who have had both note that one of the clear symptoms that accompanies dengue is terribly aching joints (why it is also referred to as "breakbone fever") -- this is not a characteristic of malaria.

As you say self diagnosis isn't an exact science, which is why there are clinics all over the place to assist in that regard.

#2 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 08:40

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

malaria - not a hard & fast rule, but fever tends to spike at regular intervals (usu 48h or 72h, duration depends on strain) that are in sync with the parasite's life cycle inside you. fever spikes whenever it reaches the stage where a new generation of parasites bursts forth into the bloodstream.

For Dengue, you generally does up on paracetamol and rest, but if it's Malaria then you had better get to the closest quality medical clinic ASAP (which would mean curtailing the trip).

dengue - can end up with dengue haemorrhagic fever or dengue shock syndrome & require treatment like platelet transfusions. people still die of it even in countries with relatively advanced medical care (e.g. Singapore).

there are different strains of dengue, & unlike malaria, it's common to have 2-3 strains circulating in the same area. unlike other diseases where previous exposure helps build immunity, previous exposure to one strain of dengue results in a higher chance of death from other strains.

#3 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 09:10

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

If it's dengue your body will ache like mad. Everything will hurt. You may also experience migrains and everything, including light, will make the pain even stronger. You will also be extremely weak.
    Never had Malaris so I can't really say. But I imagine if you are using internet then it may not be dengue. If it were you might be in too much pain to use it....

#4 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 10:08

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

A friend of mine came down with a bad fever in the Togians and I mistakenly thought it was probably dengue because one of the main symptoms (apart from fever, chills, lack of appetite etc) was excruciating joint pains. Turned out that she had falciparum malaria.

I think a blood test is really the only way to be sure. There are malaria test kits available but they aren't always very accurate.

#5 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 13:27

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS There were a lot of Chikungunya cases on Ko Phayam this year ... seemed more common than dengue.

#6 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 13:40

• tatham

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2010
    Location South Africa

That answers the question then I guess.

Thanks all!

I am going to take Doxy though and plan on taking a mozzie net (impregnated with permethrin) as well as long trousers and sleeves etc, so hopefully minimise my chances of getting mozzie borne diseases.

Seriously, too much reading about bugs and diseases before travel must be a bad thing! I read yesterday about the dangers of swimming in fresh water in SEA due to some creature that lays worms in your body that can get onto your liver and even spinal cord! I was horrified until I read that the worst regions got this are north and south Africa. As a South African, I have been swimming kn fresh water for years without issue...

#7 Posted: 26/5/2010 - 16:17

• jaclynt

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010
    Location Canada

Seriously, too much reading about bugs and diseases before travel must be a bad thing!

Honestly, I've been perusing through the forums these past couple of days. All this talk about dengue fever, malaria, encephalitis, traveller's diarrhea, vomiting, fevers, chills, bed bugs, floorboard bugs, ticks, and giant mutant aggressive mosquitoes is making me wonder why I didn't book another trip back to western Europe again ;)

#8 Posted: 5/6/2010 - 12:15

• tatham

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2010
    Location South Africa

Dude -- totally get where you are coming from. I have stopped reading these blogs myself. My sister and her husband did 6 months through SEA and did not take anti-malarials (whether that makes them idiots or not), and never had one problem the entire way! You may call them lucky, but they in fact are the norm.

I have had my last vaccine injection before my travels (rabies, although I am sure it's not actually necessary!), and now I am ready to go.

I cant wait! There is so much good stuff to experience out there that Western Europe would be like sitting in a McDonalds all Summer!

Have a great trip!

#9 Posted: 5/6/2010 - 16:08

• jaclynt

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2010
    Location Canada

Hahaha! Albeit, a McDonald's with great wine, cheese, and fashion ;D

Same to you! Be happy and safe

#10 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 12:45

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Malaria/Dengue Fever? ... By ChrisM48 on 11 Jan 2009 5 4977 11 Feb 2009
Dengue fever ... By cmz11 on 1 Aug 2008 10 3755 5 Aug 2008
I'm down with dengue fever, so... ... By somtam2000 on 16 Sep 2010 8 3175 4 Dec 2010
Dengue Fever outbreak ... By sassafrass on 9 Jun 2013 34 3381 13 Jun 2013
Tested for Dengue Fever - Bollocks ... By PeterJW on 9 Apr 2012 13 7587 9 Sep 2012
What is the word on Dengue Fever? Prevention? Treatment? ... By exacto on 9 Jan 2014 3 1328 28 Mar 2014
High incidence of Typhoid and Dengue Fever at the moment ... By busylizzy on 6 May 2013 1 2752 7 May 2013