Health and safety forum

Weird question: easiest microbial environments in SEA?

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

So all the lovely folks on this board helped me and my husband plan a honeymoon in Laos, but he has since been diagnosed with an "exotic" parasite (not sure how this was contracted) and hospitalized for a mysterious illness that may or may not be related to the bug. Given all this, we're thinking we may need to revise our travel plans. Can anyone recommend a relatively easy microbial environment in SEA for a delicate Westerner? We've spent lots of time in Bali and so would prefer to go elsewhere. Is Vietnam (Hanoi, Hoi An) a candidate? Thailand? Thanks...

#1 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 10:08

• Advertisement

• Cheddar

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2011

It's probably way too late to respond to your post (and I hope you had a wonderful honeymoon), but I would urge someone in your circumstances to consider Singapore.

While it's not exactly the first place one might think of when Southeast Asia is mentioned, and significantly more expensive than, say, Thailand or Indonesia, it does have a certain charm (yes, really), and more importantly, it is highly sanitary (you can even drink the tap water), relatively free of tropical disease, and medical facilities are top-notch.

#2 Posted: 12/5/2011 - 23:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.