Health and safety forum

info on buying malarials in Laos

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

in The Times online : http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article476346.ece

about local population, Laos:

"“(...) continuous use of drugs which were effective 50 years ago but now don’t work.”"

"On the shelves of Savannakhet’s main pharmaceutical wholesaler three types of malaria drugs are available. All are chloroquine-based" - "For decades the anti-malarial chloroquine was hailed as a wonder medicine in the Third World. It saved millions of lives but, as parasites became resistant to it, its effectiveness waned dramatically."

"In Thailand, just a 15-minute boat ride across the Mekong River, anyone suffering from malaria can get the new generation of therapy in local hospitals"

#1 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 19:24

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Your article is six years old.

And it was written about one of the few places that still had much malaria.

The WHO has pretty good statistics that are often a year or so old, and the Lao govt has breakdowns by province. Their goal these days is extremly accurate diagnosis and data on those cases they can find. Chloroquine has been very effective and it's cheap and widely available. Everyone now knows malaria is cheaply treatable.

Look at the graphs

http://www.theglobalfund.org/documents/regionalmeetings/mongolia2009/D3/Malaria/Lao%20PDR%20-%20Malaria%20Control%20in%20Lao%20PDR%20-%205%20September%202009.ppt

#2 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 11:05

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi,

I must say that only after posting I got that 2004 was 6 years ago... time flies! Anyway I just wanted to post this as a "warning" for people to be careful if buying malarials in Laos as they could be sold Chloroquine which apparently doesn't work anymore. Actually I know nothing about malarials so if you say chloroquine works I beleive you and maybe this article had some kind of pharmaceutical lobby presure as to impose another medicin than chloroquine.

When writing the post at first I had included more on Lao people, but I figured that my goal wasn't to judge local people and government, just to make tourists aware that medicins bought locally might be "out of date"(even though "Travelfish" already warns that buying medicins in SE Asia might be tricky). Thus I deleted certain sentences but unfortunatly I forgot to take "about local population, Laos: " from the post. But as you can see I only kept sentences which would serve my point, make tourists aware .

Cheers!

#3 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 13:50

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

think the current + greater danger to both locals & tourists in Laos (& also Cambodia & Vietnam) is the sale of fake anti-malarial drugs - stuff that contains anything from zero to too-little-to-be-effective amounts of active ingredient. so even if one can find the 'latest' antimalarial drugs on pharmacy shelves it might not be the real thing.

#4 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 18:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
buying anti-malarials in malaysia (not for malaysia) ... By christay2009 on 18 Oct 2009 8 4170 30 Oct 2009