Health and safety forum

How easy is it to get malaria meds in Cambodia-and did you have any other jabs?

• newbiedanie-
    lle

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2010

Hey, just got a slight enquiry about obtaining malaria meds in Cambodia. Basically, Im going to be heading out earlier than I origanally planned to Cambodia (then Laos and Thailand) and have thus lost my appointment at the doctors for getting my jabs and prescriptions for trop diseases. How easy would it be to get some anti-malarials in Cambodia, as I won't have prescription-although I have been researching the different ones and doxycycline looks to be the way to go. Also what other jabs did people get for the areas I'm going to? I'm a nurse so I've already had all the hepatitis innoculations, and tuberculosis. I've also read about a immunisation certificate. How exactly does this work and would it matter that I don't have one?

Thanks for any input you may have, Danielle

#1 Posted: 9/9/2010 - 22:09

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

I was in the wet season in indochina and took anti malarials... and only "ate" half a box... once you re there you forget about malaria.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2010 - 22:20

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

for the jabs I did hep A and B, thyphoid and tetanus. forget about rabies...

#3 Posted: 9/9/2010 - 22:21

• faineg

Click here to learn more about faineg
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 2

Well, you forget about malaria until you get it. I hear varying opinions on this one. The fact is, Cambodia has *especially* nasty malaria when compared to the rest of Southeast Asia, and malaria is not fun at all if you're unlucky enough to get it. My grandfather contracted a case in the swamps of Louisiana when he was a kid in the 1930's. He still gets attacks.

I take Malarone. I was advised to take it whenever I'm in a risky area. Swampy, in the woods, somewhere mosquitoes like to live. Monitor the news for malaria outbreaks in the region you'll be traveling to and make your own decisions. Be careful about where you buy your drugs. Cambodia is notorious for counterfeit meds.

#4 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 12:23

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

You're right that you forget it until you get it. However if you put anti-mosquito lotion, wear long sleaves and socks in the evening and take vitamin B complex it's very unlikely that you'll be bitten (at this point we add the chances of actually being a malarial mosquito that will bite you among all the others). It's a matter of choice. You know your grandfather's experience, however we're now in 2010, even in a remote corner of Cambodia you'll be able to get yourself to a hospital in Thailand or Vietnam with the support of your health insurer. I don't know the statistics but I think that the percentage of travellers getting malaria is very low, otherwise a site like Travelfish wouldn't say that not taking malarials is an option. Reading what organisations say about this leads you nowhere because ou don't know who's sponsoring them but information from this site is invaluable. But it really is a matter of choice, if you have the money and you don't care taking the tablets, it's your option. [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#5 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 17:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Japanese Encephalitis and Malria Meds Really Necessary for Laos and Cambodia?? ... By sharoonie on 1 Nov 2011 6 2763 2 Nov 2011