Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

How easy is it to get malaria meds in Cambodia-and did you have any other jabs?

Posted by newbiedanielle on 9/9/2010 at 22:09

Hey, just got a slight enquiry about obtaining malaria meds in Cambodia. Basically, Im going to be heading out earlier than I origanally planned to Cambodia (then Laos and Thailand) and have thus lost my appointment at the doctors for getting my jabs and prescriptions for trop diseases. How easy would it be to get some anti-malarials in Cambodia, as I won't have prescription-although I have been researching the different ones and doxycycline looks to be the way to go. Also what other jabs did people get for the areas I'm going to? I'm a nurse so I've already had all the hepatitis innoculations, and tuberculosis. I've also read about a immunisation certificate. How exactly does this work and would it matter that I don't have one?

Thanks for any input you may have, Danielle

#1 newbiedanielle has been a member since 5/8/2010. Posts: 13

Posted by Indoluso on 9/9/2010 at 22:20

I was in the wet season in indochina and took anti malarials... and only "ate" half a box... once you re there you forget about malaria.

#2 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by Indoluso on 9/9/2010 at 22:21

for the jabs I did hep A and B, thyphoid and tetanus. forget about rabies...

#3 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by faineg on 8/11/2010 at 12:23

Well, you forget about malaria until you get it. I hear varying opinions on this one. The fact is, Cambodia has *especially* nasty malaria when compared to the rest of Southeast Asia, and malaria is not fun at all if you're unlucky enough to get it. My grandfather contracted a case in the swamps of Louisiana when he was a kid in the 1930's. He still gets attacks.

I take Malarone. I was advised to take it whenever I'm in a risky area. Swampy, in the woods, somewhere mosquitoes like to live. Monitor the news for malaria outbreaks in the region you'll be traveling to and make your own decisions. Be careful about where you buy your drugs. Cambodia is notorious for counterfeit meds.

#4 faineg has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: United States. Posts: 8
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Indoluso on 8/11/2010 at 17:46

You're right that you forget it until you get it. However if you put anti-mosquito lotion, wear long sleaves and socks in the evening and take vitamin B complex it's very unlikely that you'll be bitten (at this point we add the chances of actually being a malarial mosquito that will bite you among all the others). It's a matter of choice. You know your grandfather's experience, however we're now in 2010, even in a remote corner of Cambodia you'll be able to get yourself to a hospital in Thailand or Vietnam with the support of your health insurer. I don't know the statistics but I think that the percentage of travellers getting malaria is very low, otherwise a site like Travelfish wouldn't say that not taking malarials is an option. Reading what organisations say about this leads you nowhere because ou don't know who's sponsoring them but information from this site is invaluable. But it really is a matter of choice, if you have the money and you don't care taking the tablets, it's your option. [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#5 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.