• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Came across this article today...

"FRUIT buyers, beware. A survey of the Thai capital's ubiquitous fruit carts that sell snack bags filled with juicy watermelon chunks, papaya slivers and exotic treats such as pickled guava has found the fruit also contains unsafe levels of bacteria and chemicals that help keep it looking fresh in Bangkok's tropical heat."

"If the pickled fruits tested, 64 per cent were tainted with hazardous chemicals, mainly colour dyes to keep the guavas extragreen and the mango slices bright yellow."

Full article here: story here

This kind of guts me. One of the (many) things I enjoy about travelling in Asia is the vast range and supply of fresh fruit. I would like to think it is unadulterated fruit. I'm not obsessive, but I do my best to avoid unnecessarily processed foods (usually cooking from scratch, etc). Who would have thought that fresh fruit was being intentionally tainted with unnecessary chemicals?

If I buy fruit, I do tend to try and get the whole fruit, and get the seller to slice and dice it in front of me. But I have also bought the trays of pineapple and mango from street sellers as well. I might start thinking twice about that.

#1 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 07:56

• Advertisement

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Thanks for the tip, busylizzy. I'm kind of in the same boat as you I guess. I think I should have know better as all the farmers use all sorts or pesticides and chemical fertilizers and such. Just like back home. I often wonder about some of the pastries we sell and bread I consume. The shelf life is phenomenal. Wow, haven't used that word in a while, so if I spelled it wrong, help me out.

#2 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 17:19

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"I think I should have know better as all the farmers use all sorts or pesticides and chemical fertilizers and such."

This isn't necessarily true. Many of the farmers I worked with in Prachinburi and Nakhon Nayok were strictly organic farmers/growers of mango, durian, mah-prang, pomello, rambutan, limes, jackfruit, and mangosteen, as well as rice.

The thing about most of the fruit vendors we see on the street is that they buy (or are provided with) the less expensive fruit to sell. They don't make much in the first place, so some will do whatever is necessary to prolong the shelf life of their wares.

Organic fruit is almost always more expensive and tends to end up at higher end restaurants, hotels, and resorts. Very unlikely that Bangkok fruit vendors are going to be hawking this stuff because they can't afford to buy it in the first place.

My friend's mother is a fruit vendor at Bobae in Bangkok. She spends the afternoon slicing up pineapples and watermelon on the floor of their shop in Thonburi, not far from where the dogs sleep, and then sells it during the evening. There is no handwashing. There is no sanitizing of cutting boards and utensils. There is no fly control. When she comes home the next morning, whatever is left-over sits around until it gets packed into a refrigerator with the rest of the family's food until it's brought out again.

Good idea to get the vendor to cut-up a whole fruit rather than buy one that's pre-cut. Plus, it gives you a chance to check out the vendor, the vendor's hands (are there cuts all over them?), and equipment before buying.

This issue has been around for about 20 years and steps have been taken to improve the food safety situation. The problem is that there are so many vendors that reaching the majority of them for food safety training is pretty much impossible. Perhaps the biggest reason for unsafe food is poverty. Most of Bangkok's food vendors come from the lower end of the socio-economic scale and this reflects strongly in their living conditions, food-related equipment that is available, education, and other issues that contribute to food safety.

#3 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 00:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Where are the best Bangkok street vendors? ... By rledez1990 on 28 May 2011 11 3117 30 May 2011