Health and safety forum

Vaccinations and a query on taking medication to Asia

• sophierose87

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2010
    Location Australia

Hello everyone

I am yet to head to the travel doctor, and have searched online and on the forum, but just wondering what anyone's thoughts are on getting japanese encephalitis vaccination for 2 months in Asia? Spending 10 days northern Thailand, 2.5 weeks Cambodia (a week of that is at a place an hour out of Phnom Penh), and 3 weeks in Vietnam. Last time I went travelling was to China and the doctor basically said getting vaccinated was up to me, but I didn't end up getting jabbed for JEV. Thoughts?

My second question: I have never travelled with prescription medication before except for malaria pills. Since my last trip I now have to take thyroxine pills daily - I assume its a good idea to get a doctor's letter for this? Also wondering if any one knows if some kind of product exists to keep medication cool? As mine is supposed to be kept under 25 degrees celcius....

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help!

#1 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 12:54

• Advertisement

• sophierose87

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2010
    Location Australia

Probably should have pointed out in Cambodia I am spending a week living in Phnom Tamao while I volunteer at the Free the bears sanctuary. From the sounds of it this is the most rural part of my trip, not sure if this increases the risk of Japanese encephalitis? I am a soon-to-be vet, not sure if I will have hands on contact with any animals (but already vaccinated for rabies).

#2 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 13:00

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

What's the contract rate for the disease. One in 10 or 1 in 100 million. Let that be your guide.

#3 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 14:26

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

My wife takes thyroxine and for our 4 month trip just took sufficient for the period. Her usual prescription usually isn't for that long, but a quick chat with the doctor sorted that out. She didn't need any more while there, but I reckon you'll probably be able to buy over the counter if you need more without prescription. It seemed to me that (in Thailand anyway) prescriptions were rarely needed for standard meds.

A belt and braces approach may be to take a letter from your GP as well, as you say.

#4 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 17:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Taking medication to Thailand ... By LaraP on 25 Aug 2010 6 9343 26 Aug 2010
SE Asia Vaccinations ... By mattocmd on 4 Sep 2007 15 22137 15 Aug 2011
Vaccinations and their costs for a 6 week trip to SE Asia ... By ms1892 on 27 Jan 2010 13 16138 14 Nov 2010