Health and safety forum

typhiod and hep A, any others?

• mrk12a

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2010

Hi so im getting hep a and typhiod vacinations and was wondering wether any others would be recommended? Im leaving in 6 weeks so some i think i may have left to late ( hep b for example). I plan on being very carefull e.g any bites from dog/monkey straight to the hospital, condoms if the situation arises ( the HIV is the bigest concern here) and being carefull. So any more vacinations you would recommend?

#1 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 23:02

• Advertisement

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

hi there, i've been looking into vacinations as well... here's a site i used, very informative...

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/thailand.aspx

scroll down to "Vaccine-Preventable Diseases"

#2 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 05:09

• greektravel-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

i have the same problem with Hep B.Im leaving in 6 weeks but the doctor is going to give me a crash course within that time. ask ur doctor for a crash course instead of 6 months course. its a bit more expensive but gives u full immunity within 1.5 month. i spoke to a friend of mine she is a doctor and from asia actually and she suggests hep a, hep b, thyphoid should be enough along with the ones u get from a young age. tetanus etc.

#3 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 15:34

• emily01

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2011

My doctor told me the Hep B vaccine actually wasn't very good and doesn't give you full immunity. He told me I didn't need it.
    You should need a tetanus booster though unless you've had one recently.

#4 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 18:16

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

Have to disagree with your doctor emily. I have worked in healthcare for over 20 years & wouldn't dream of not being vaccinated against Hep B. Hep B is a blood born pathogen & can be transmitted via any bodily fluids, it is particularly vigorous (unlike HIV) and can live on an inanimate object for several hours. The vaccine does give you full immunity. And the CDC now recommends that Hep B be included with all other childhood vaccines. The FAQ below was lifted from the CDC website. It is also important to note that Hep B is endemic in SEA. Hep B is an awful illness, I would sure rather be safe than sorry. Go to the cdc website @ www.cdc.org for more info.
    How long does protection from Hepatitis B vaccine last?Studies indicate that immunologic memory remains intact for at least 20 years among healthy vaccinated individuals who initiated Hepatitis B vaccination >6 months of age. The vaccine confers long-term protection against clinical illness and chronic Hepatitis B virus infection. Cellular immunity appears to persist even though antibody levels might become low or decline below detectable levels

#5 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 19:18

• emily01

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2011

Well that's nice to hear. I fly there in a week.

#6 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 14:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.