Health and safety forum

Oh dear..too late to vaccinate?

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

Myself and my girlfriend are going to Vietnam in less than 3 weeks, and pretty stupidly, we left thinking about immunisations until the new year, totally forgetting that you're supposed to get them quite a way in advance.

Myself, I'm not so worried about, all I think I need is a Hep A booster, the other essentials (Typhoid, Tetunus, Diphtheria) are still valid for me from when I went away in 2009. But I don't think my girlfriend has any of that :(

We've both booked an appointment at the travel clinic this week anyway, but is it too late? Will they refuse to immunise us now, or is it just less likely to be effective? And are we pretty screwed?

#1 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 22:30

• Advertisement

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Unless you plan on trekking miles away from civilization in some seriously swampy places you'll be fine without any shots. Honest.

Take care,

FSH

#2 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 22:55

• greektravel-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

i wouldnt even think about going to these places without getting vaccinations. dont risk it

#3 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 17:42

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

Turned out it was fine, both our health clinics were able to give us everything we needed.
    So the answer to my question is no, it is never too late!

#4 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 22:30

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Hey sidewinder...there is a WHO clinic in BKK if you forgot or want a cheap booster. World class place. Near Sala Deng train station. Same place that they make snake vaccine!

#5 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 10:51

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Has anyone ever vaccinated at the Thai Travel Clinic, affiliated with the Bangkok Hospital for Tropical Diseases/Mahidol University?
    I'm planning on heading there for immunizations...any experience with it or another place in Bangkok?

#6 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 10:36

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

The red cross place near sala daeng station. I went there a few years back. Cheap. WHO affiliation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Saovabha_Memorial_Institute
    It is a popular "snake farm" because they do venom research here. But just go in the main building. It is run by the Red Cross. No appointment needed.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/vaccinations.asp

This lists another red cross location. But the snake farm is cool. I got a tetanus booster and a couple of other shots there. They gave me a book to carry around listing them that I still have.

#7 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 12:15

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Thanks Thomas922...
    I'll check it out.

I'm still curious about the Thai Travel Clinic...anyone?

Thanks!

#8 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 12:26

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

i got vaccinated at the hospital for tropical diseases in BKK. very professional, efficient & inexpensive. you can make an appt on online.

#9 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 15:55

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Mahidol University is a world leader in tropical disease research so their travel clinic is no doubt a lot more up to date and better informed than your local travel clinic back home! I wouldn't hestitate to get vaccinated there, though the Red Cross place is no doubt highly competent too.

BTW, the Mahidol travel clinic website has lots of good general information on things like malaria, dengue and rabies etc too.

http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/

#10 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 19:39

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.