Health and safety forum

Stitches URGENT

• spburchill

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2010

Hello all,
    I am in Vang Vieng and had six stitches place under my right eye on my cheek bone area after taking a fall. Of course Vang Vieng right. Anyways, I am looking for any information on getting the stitches out in Hanoi Vietnam as I am trying to get out of here, or to stay in Vang Vieng for the next few days and get them removed. I really am trying to not go to Vientiane.
    The stitches were really well done and the wound is clean.
    PLEASE HELP!

#1 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 18:04

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

the doctor probably told you when you had to go back to get them removed, well wait for a day extra and take em out yourself if you think you can do it. Taking out stitches doesn't hurt or anything, just cut the top of and pull it slowly.

Though wouldn't recommend if you're not certain :). I know a good hospital in Ho Chi Minh: http://www.gfmer.ch/International_activities_En/FValse_FVH.htm. had to go there for like 3 times already.
    Nice and clean hospital, good service. you will pay the same as going to the doctor back home but it's just fine if you have insurance.

recommendation for other travelers as well if you get something!

#2 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 20:10

• spburchill

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2010

Thanks. I've contemplated doing that. Only concern I have is that it is on my face! It is definitely an option though. Any good hospitals in Hanoi?

#3 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 20:38

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I've found the US Embassy websites a good starting point when looking for medical care.

http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/acs_medinfo.html

#4 Posted: 4/3/2011 - 12:19

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

There are some Western oriented hospitals in Hanoi - pricey though of course. Try Family Medical Practice or SOS International or the French Hospital. From what I hear, FMP is the best of the three.

http://www.internationalsos.com/en/about-our-clinics_vietnam_3534.htm

http://www.vietnammedicalpractice.com/
    http://www.hfh.com.vn/

#5 Posted: 4/3/2011 - 22:43

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

sorry, i don't have a specific recommendation for you, but in addition to checking with the us embassy websites as recommended above, most travel insurance policies, if you have one, include a 24-hour hotline to help you locate the nearest appropriate medical center.

get well soon! cheers.

#6 Posted: 5/3/2011 - 07:51

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I was in the exact situation 3 years ago...first, do not remove the stitches yourself as the smallest piece of thread left will give a nasty infection. Second, go to an SOS International clinic. The doctor consult will set you back about 100$ but if the wound is clean you might get away with only seeing a nurse. The French run clinics are very clean and modern. And you travel insurance will provide an eventual refund. Third, you will need or are already taking antibiotics for infection...if you need more the chances of receiving a placebo here are minimal. And finally, the staff here will only take out the stitches when your wound is ready for it.
    Good luck...and finish your antibiotics! Cellulitis is terrible!

#7 Posted: 5/3/2011 - 11:24

• spburchill

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thank you all for your help!
    I got into Hanoi on a sleeper bus and had it bandaged up the whole time to decrease risk of infection. I emailed Hanoi Family Medical Clinic and they told me to come in once I had arrived. I got there filled out hte paperwork and was told it would cost me $22 USD to remove the 6 stitches. The clinic was very clean and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the same situation. All good now. The nurse was also very impressed by the quality of the stitches done in Vang Vieng
    Thank you all!
    Cheers

#8 Posted: 7/3/2011 - 16:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.