Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

deet or picaridin

Posted by greektraveller on 14/3/2011 at 22:44

I wanna buy insect repellants and I am bit worried after reading the dangers of deet. any suggestion?

#1 greektraveller has been a member since 24/1/2011. Posts: 44

Posted by busylizzy on 15/3/2011 at 02:15

I took some Deet with me, but hated wearing it because of the chemicals but also because it was so thick and sticky and unpleasant to wear. In the end, I just used over-the-counter locally purchased repellant and it did the job just fine. Mind you, I wasn't there in the wet season, and didn't come across too many problem areas where mozzies where rampant.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Thomas922 on 15/4/2011 at 10:47

Locally in most countries or online you can get deet products that are not so strong. In the last 10 years I have been in and out of Japan/Thai/Camb/Viet/HK/Singapore/ and a few more. I have only used a reppellant less than 5 times total. I guess mossies don't find me appealling. But I did find stuff that was like a mild lotion and not sticky and wasn't uncomfortable. Get some thin longsleeves and leggings (non cotton the travel gear stuff) and spray around the outside of those especially your shoes/feet and ankle areas. Don't spray yourself with strong sweet scents (including hair products) and don't wear really bright colors at dusk/dawn. And don't freak out at every bite. You will get bit. Chances are you won't get sick. BUT...many people do and mostly it is mild for a few days. Only a few get typhoid/dengue/malaria ragingly bad and we read about it but I have yet to meet anyone. Bring some multi vitamins to keep your immune system up and take nights off from partying/drinking to recover. It is up to you how much you prepare (ie drugs) but don't freak out.

#3 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.