Health and safety forum

deet or picaridin

• greektravel-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

I wanna buy insect repellants and I am bit worried after reading the dangers of deet. any suggestion?

#1 Posted: 14/3/2011 - 22:44

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I took some Deet with me, but hated wearing it because of the chemicals but also because it was so thick and sticky and unpleasant to wear. In the end, I just used over-the-counter locally purchased repellant and it did the job just fine. Mind you, I wasn't there in the wet season, and didn't come across too many problem areas where mozzies where rampant.

#2 Posted: 15/3/2011 - 02:15

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Locally in most countries or online you can get deet products that are not so strong. In the last 10 years I have been in and out of Japan/Thai/Camb/Viet/HK/Singapore/ and a few more. I have only used a reppellant less than 5 times total. I guess mossies don't find me appealling. But I did find stuff that was like a mild lotion and not sticky and wasn't uncomfortable. Get some thin longsleeves and leggings (non cotton the travel gear stuff) and spray around the outside of those especially your shoes/feet and ankle areas. Don't spray yourself with strong sweet scents (including hair products) and don't wear really bright colors at dusk/dawn. And don't freak out at every bite. You will get bit. Chances are you won't get sick. BUT...many people do and mostly it is mild for a few days. Only a few get typhoid/dengue/malaria ragingly bad and we read about it but I have yet to meet anyone. Bring some multi vitamins to keep your immune system up and take nights off from partying/drinking to recover. It is up to you how much you prepare (ie drugs) but don't freak out.

#3 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 10:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.