Health and safety forum

In case of emergency..

• roff

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

Travelling to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam an Cambodia in May for 3 months. Just wondering what the contact information/ standard procedure is in case of an emergency in these countries? If anyone can help me out with this it would be great.. ive sone alot of reading on safety ie malaria prevention and dodging tourist scams but couldnt find anything for this.. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 21:20

• Advertisement

• hemiltonfle-
    ming

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011

I am new to forum and trying to figure out this for general discussion.

#2 Posted: 22/3/2011 - 21:24

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm not sure that anyone ever bothers with this sort of thing - I certainly never do. Are you meaning who YOU should contact if something happens?

If you are concerned, you could register with your embassy in each of these countries and give them a method to contact you if necessary. That would be useful I guess if there are any civil unrest issues.

If you are worried about medical things, I guess you just need to know how to contact your travel insurance company. (You DO have insurance, right?!) They will then give you advice as to the best place to go to for hospital care, etc.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much!

#3 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 02:50

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Yes - and if you're worried about who you should contact in case of major emergency/problem, just make sure to have the number for your embassy/consulate in that country. You'll just have to go to their websites before you leave - if its a big worry keep the numbers in a post-it in your passport and an extra copy in a notebook.

I don't bother to register with my embassy when I visit - I've lived in China for 3 years and haven't bothered to do it even then.

#4 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 08:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Me to Casey. Been living here four years in June, and haven't registered with the Embassy. Used it plenty of times...

#5 Posted: 23/3/2011 - 10:21

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I would def get travel insurance and hep shot and maybe typhoid. Carry some doxy with you and enjoy yourself. You will meet many people who do absolutely no preparation. So don't be surprised that people look at you strange if you pill pop a lot of Malaria stuff. Up to you. No you don't need to travel with nets unless you plan on staying in the worst of places or outside and maybe you might bring some multi vitamins if you don't think you will eat right. If something happens bad, you won't be able to call an ambulance anyway, someone else will be looking at you half dead and decide so........just make sur a copy of your passport is always on you and phone numbers that your travel insurance reccommends. Hell most of us don't even do that though we should.

#6 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 10:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.