• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It looks innocuous enough, a bit like a big soldier ant. However you'll know it isn't harmless if you slap at it like a mosquito, accidentally crush one in your sleep, or get hit in the face by one while you're driving a motorbike.

http://docfiles.blogspot.com/2007/06/paederousrove-beetle-dermatitis.html

I just thought I'd post a heads up about this thing in case anyone else is blissfully unaware that these insects "contain the most poisonous animal contact toxin in the world".

I don't even remember squashing one of these things but right now I have a patch of what looks like bubonic plague on my inner elbow. It's quite painful too, like a bad burn ...or twelve (very small) cobra bites.

#1 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 04:42

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

ouch!! can't say i,ve seen this in se asia thanks for the info those pics look very nasty.here's to a speedy recovery.btw where were you when you crushed this.
    swag

#2 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 05:24

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Good grief, SBE - you have the worst luck with the creepy crawlies! I hope you don't have to suffer too long.. it looks nasty. Take care!

#3 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 10:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Yep, I got tagged on the neck by one of these about a year and a half ago... sucked.

#4 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 13:12

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

@swag... in Thailand. I've seen quite a few of these insects there, mostly in jungly areas on the islands but the doctor I saw in Bangkok says they have them there too. Symptoms take about 12 hours to appear. They don't bite like mosquitoes or ants so you often don't even notice them.

@busylizzy... actually I think I'm quite lucky as far as creepy crawlies are concerned... I haven't died once (yet).

BTW, I had another cobra visit in my beach hut this year. Was quietly hammocking on Ko Phayam last January when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a reptilian face peeking over the edge of my balcony... at first I thought it was just a skink or a harmless tree snake but as more and more snake body appeared I realised it was in fact a large cobra...it even reared up and did a cute snake dance with its hood out. Really pisses me off that I never have a camera at hand when this kind of thing happens so I called a couple of guys from neighbouring bungalows over. Would have made a great shot as the snake was only a meter away but instead of running for a camera, they ran off screaming for help!! Typical men. ;-)

@MM. Did it leave an indelible scar? Just curious...

#5 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 16:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

No scar - irrtated the crap out of me for a while though.

#6 Posted: 10/4/2011 - 17:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.