Health and safety forum

MALARIA....

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hey i'm going to be visiting, thailand, malaysia and indonesia for around 4 months this august and im pretty sketchy about malaria tablets, i will be getting the jab but certain forums say forget about the tablets you wont need them, a friend has just gone to thailand and forked out £200 for tablets!!

Bangkok > Chiang Mai > Kanchanaburi > Ko Samui > Phuket > Ko Phi Phi
    Not sure where im visiting in Malaysia or Thailand just yet. A little help on other vacinations would help too :)

Cheers!!

#1 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 02:51

• Advertisement

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

A quick Google search would tell you Malaria medication isn't needed in most of Thailand, bar the border regions. Good way to spend £200 though.

I think that mainland (?) Malaysia is all good too unless you're going into the Jungle.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-%28east%29/malaysia/malaysia-malaria-map/malaysia-%28west%29-malaria-map.aspx

Thanks!

#2 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 04:01

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Where in Indo and Malaysia are you going? I travelled through Bali, Lombok, Flores and other smaller islands for 2 months without taking tables and had no problems. I had them with me, but didn't like the idea of taking them, so didn't. But of course, it only takes one hungry mozzie.....

To be honest, unless you are deep in jungle and/or it's rainy season, I wouldn't bother. You are just as likely (more likely?) to catch Dengue Fever, also caught from mosquitoes, and for which there is no protection other than repellant. So you need to protect yourself regardless.... repellant, long pants, etc in evenings. Ok, I didn't even bother the long pants. Just lots of repellant - and not the Deet stuff, either. Normal store-bought repellant.

Maybe I was just lucky.....

You always have to weigh up the risks and make decisions that are best for you. But make informed decisions - so do your research.

#3 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 08:49

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the link and replies!

Not sure where to go in malaysia or indonesia as yet im just hoping to go with the flow and ask around where the best places to visit would be once i get there from other backpackers.

I dont really want to have to fork out for the tablets cos its alot of money and that could get me extra time away, although i dont want to be that unlucky one to catch malaria!! i cant win..Would the malaria injections not be enough to stop it?

Whats wrong with Deet? ive just bought some deet band things for my wrists and ankles(wether or not these will be any good or i will need them i dont no this is my first trip)

#4 Posted: 2/6/2011 - 23:20

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I think some people's skin doesn't take too kindly to DEET. I couldn't speak for Busylizzy though but I think that is a general complaint.

I would say that I hardly got any bites and I was using about 18-22% deet for most of the time. If I left it on overnight it would make me itch a bit but that only happened once or twice. The idea you need 90% DEET as you can buy in the UK is pretty crazy. I don't see how this is relevant to most travellers yet it is marketed as such.

Personally, I buy and take malarials but its seems quite a few on forums don't.

I would think DEET spray would be better than bands also. You can just get the local brand when you go to Thailand/SE Asia though.

There are many debates on TF about malaria medication so just have a scout around.

#5 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 00:13

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Too much deet is toxic. Take some but try alternatives too. I used a week deet and a non deet.
    I ended up hardly using much of either one. Get lightweight breathable fabrics. No bright colors. And eat less sweets and use less strong aromas.

#6 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 10:56

• samuijimmy

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2011
    Location Canada

Citronella (Lemon Grass) spray works well... you can find in most chemist shops in Thailand or at Tesco... probably the same in Malaysia etc. I am not sure about mosquitoes in Indonesia, but Citronella would still work...

Malaria not common in built tourists built up areas, although occasionally there are reports, but areas usually sprayed with fermons (SP) to prevent breeding... It is usually the locals who get Malaria, if there is a rare break out... as they don't use sprays!

As Thomas 922 says avoid too much sweets & bright clothing & after shave / perfume! ...

Mosquitoes are usually only out in the early morning, and evening/ night.... most areas not heavy infestations that I have ever found.

Malaria carrying mosquitoes are smaller and out during the day, but as said not common...

I'd save your $200 .... they tend to over react .... I went through that on my first visit here, and now lived here nearly four years, it is not a major problem....

I would suggest avoiding "street food" though.... you'll more likely get upset stomach from that!

#7 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 10:40

• morse96

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

i have 95% deet the woman at the shop was like keep it away from plastics haha ah well as long as it keeps the mozzies away. also hope someone can help is it easy to get doxycycline in thailand because i need a prescription over in the uk and my doctor is pushing me too have a more expensive drug

#8 Posted: 15/12/2011 - 12:07

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Doxy is available everywhere in Bangkok.....

#9 Posted: 15/12/2011 - 15:18

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I use Citronella as well, I stopped taking Malaria meds 3 - 4 yrs ago.

#10 Posted: 15/12/2011 - 16:05

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.