Health and safety forum

Brushing your teeth with tap water in Vietnam

• daniel4

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Any advice on whether to use bottled or tap water to brush your teeth in Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos?

#1 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 08:03

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

In terms of Vietnam and the cities in Cambodia, I tended to use tap water. In more remote, 'dubious' areas where I was less certain, I used bottled water.

Haven't been to Laos but might be inclined to err on side of caution and use bottled water. It's not a bit deal to use it and I always have it handy. Mind you, I still end up using tap water to rinse by brush usually, so I'm not sure what I'm gaining by using bottled water for the rest!

#2 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 09:20

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Yeah I always use tap water for my teeth. I am just rinsing. I hope my immune system is worth something. I haven't had a problem in all these years so far. The farther you get from the treatment centers the more I would use strictly bottled water. The treatment centers are usually closer to the city. The problem one official said in the paper in one country I was in was that the infrastructure to carry the clean water far, was dubious.

#3 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 10:12

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I use tap water and my tooth is doing just fine...

#4 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 12:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Rasheed you crack me up man!

#5 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 12:48

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

I always use bottled water to be on the safe side.

#6 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 22:20

• daniel4

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Thanks Rasheed and everyone else for the feedback. Hey Rasheed, maybe you should have used bottled water, may have kept more than one tooth :))

#7 Posted: 25/6/2011 - 06:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.