Health and safety forum

Crossing borders with diazepam / valium in SE Asia

• onefatmonkey

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2011

Hi

First time poster... To help with the long and often uncomfortable travel around SE Asia (but hey it gives you good stories to tell) I intend to take some diazepam (aka valium) with me and probably pick up some more in Bangkok. I'm a tall lad so sleeping on coaches is often very difficult, if not impossible for me.

What are the rules with border crossings / airports with 'medicines' like this? I'm assuming it's legal to transport over borders (I'm doing Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam). Should they be in original packaging (not possible if I buy in Bangkok), would I need a prescription, is there a limit to how many I can take, is putting them in a vitamin bottle sensible/stupid etc? Any tips, advice, warnings, greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

#1 Posted: 11/7/2011 - 21:47

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

That's an interesting one because I had some valium on me last week and came through Poipet and had my bag searched by the Thais for the very first time and I've come through that border on many occasions.Like you I only use this stuff for long uncomfortable bus journeys as it's a godsend when the seat is ricketty and the karaoke is on full volume for 8 hours.
    I don't believe you can legally buy diazepam in Thailand and I think it is illegal to possess it so you can imagine I was sweating as this guy took a cursory look through my backpack.If you have a valid prescription it's a different matter but in my case I'd purchased them in Cambodia where almost everything can be bought in the pharmacy.
    I don't know about Vietnam but most Embassy sites give advise on what you can and can't carry.I would be extremely careful crossing borders with any pharmaceutical drug.I'd certainly stick it in the bottom of the pack at the very least

#2 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 00:32

• onefatmonkey

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2011

Cheers for your thoughts Sayadian. I'll mull it over a bit more and see what other people on here think before making a decision.

I guess it's pot luck if you get searched but it's what happens if they do search and find it that worries me. I think the quantity might have a bearing too.

I wonder if trying to convince them it's vitamin B1 or C would be likely to make things better or worse!? ;)

From what I understand valium is a brand name for diazepam although I could be wrong. The ones I have came from Bangkok chemist which would suggest they are legal, but perhaps not without a prescription.

Thanks again.

#3 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 02:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Crossing Borders with a Scooter? ... By esocha on 21 Jul 2010 0 1546 21 Jul 2010
Crossing land borders and travelling by bike in Burma ... By ewcyna on 21 Oct 2013 8 1723 19 Jun 2014