Health and safety forum

Anyone bought Doxy in the UK (or Bangkok) recently?

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I'm looking online and I'm just not getting any worthwhile results for purchasing in the UK. I am just getting lots of online sites offering me budget drugs. Any one bought any recently on the high street?

My GP surgery can sell them to me but I want to compare prices.

I was also looking into buying in Bangkok but not sure. Might prefer to have some before I go.

#1 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 19:55

• Advertisement

• HexagonalBo-
    lts

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2011

I bought four months worth of doxycycline for about 18 pounds in Manchester, just walking in to the first local chemist, a Lloyd's pharmacy.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 20:57

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

Some places will give you doxy for free on an NHS prescription because it's a common antibiotic used in the UK anyway. The actual cost that the makers sell their tablets for is 16p per tablet so aim for a price around that.

I bought malarone a few months ago and the cheapest place was superdrug pharmacy so try there. Also try phoning asda, tesco, sainsburys, boots pharmacy etc because they'll all give quotes over the phone, and try a few places online.

Also if you already have your prescription, depending on your current quotes try here :
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/doxycycline-capsule-100mg_4_13994.html as it's only 10p per tablet.

I bought malarone from this website last year and it was really good. Nothing to worry about, good communication and it was delivered within a couple of days.

#3 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 04:36

• adclesta

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011

i bought 3 months worth before i left for SEA in may, it was just the price of a normal prescription - only 7 quid whatever, cheap enough i thought

#4 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 11:35

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I bought online in the UK and it was cheap and easy - much cheaper than buying through my GP or at a pharmacy (it definitely wasn't just the price of a prescription but maybe it depends how many you buy as I bought about 100). I can't remember who, but Chemist Direct (mentioned above) sounds familiar. Of course, you need a prescription though. I then topped up at a chemist in Bangkok. Of course, no prescription required.

#5 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 14:29

• adclesta

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011

fair enough, travellingsarah i bought 84 if i remember rightly so maybe it was because it was under 100. i was surprised at the time it was only the price of the prescription, especially as my friends supply of around the same amount of malarone was around £200!!

#6 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 19:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Don't know about the UK but Doxy is very cheap in Bangkok! Much cheaper than 16p a tablet.

#7 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 19:55

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Thanks for all the info, I went to Tesco in the end as it was easiest for me. I can't remember exactly but think it was ... errr ... 17p a pill or 18p

I've not actually picked them up yet / paid for them so will let you know if the above is wildly wrong. I will no doubt top up if needed in Bangkok

:)

#8 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 23:12

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I would get doxy in BKK. There are many reputable pharmacies used by expats.Much cheaper. You don't need to be on it before landing in bangers if you need it at all!

#9 Posted: 30/7/2011 - 04:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.