Health and safety forum

Prickly Heat

• Phiddy

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Does anyone else suffer from prickly heat? How do you deal with it when travelling in a hot climate for months on end? I tend to get it maybe every other time I go on holiday, but these are usually just ten days at a time, rather than 4 months at a time (which is what I am doing from January). I don't tend to get a noticeable rash, just completely unbearable prickling on my back. Last time I got it was in Turkey and I was literally floored for about 3 days, all I could do was lie there on the floor watching BBC world news, weeping.

Ok I know I sound like a bit of a wimp but it really is that bad and I'm super paranoid that it's gonna be ten times worse while I'm travelling, waaah.

I'm aware of preventative measures like taking cold showers and drinking lots of water, staying cool etc. but I could do all of this and still get it. Has anyone found any effective widely sold solutions in SE Asia (I'm going to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam)? I've tried the usual calamine lotion and anti-hystemine and neither have ever worked.

Ta

#1 Posted: 10/12/2011 - 14:14

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You should be able to get whatever you need when you're in Thailand, especially in Bangkok. Lots and lots of pharmacies.

#2 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 08:07

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Hi Phiddy,

When I lived in Thailand in the 1980's, and air con was a bit rarer, my friends and I (as well as the locals) used to use a medicated powder called Prickly Heat as a preventative measure. It came in a distinctive white and red squarish can and I think is still generally available. But you might try using something as simple as Johnson's Baby Powder on your skin in the places where you tend to get the rash to help keep your skin cool and dry.

I also used to have better luck not getting prickly heat when I wore loose-fitting cotton shirts as opposed to other types of materials. No matter what, keep your clothes dry and change them as often as you need. You might even consider carrying an extra shirt or two in your day pack so you can change when needed and even consider carrying an extra pair of underwear and socks to change them when you get sweaty.

Finally, if you do get a rash, go and see a doctor to get the meds you need. Health care in Thailand isn't usually expensive and much better to spend a bit of money and be comfy than suffer for three days. I had a bad case of PH once that wouldn't quit, but the doc fixed me up with a special solution that I used twice a day and it took care of the problem. Hope that helps.

By the way, where were you in Turkey? I lived in Istanbul for four years and never much had a problem with the heat there when compared to Thailand. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 14:52

• Phiddy

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Thanks for the replies, I was in the south - on the mediterranean coast near fethiye. It was after a day long boat trip where I had been in the sun all day so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. I don't really know exactly what it is that causes it for me because I don't actually get a visible rash, just the dreaded prickliness. Plus it was dry there as opposed to humid. They gave me some sort of cream at a loca clinic but it was rubbish, I will get some of this prickly heat powder though when I'm in BKK and try it out, is it preventative as well or just a treatment for once you have it?

#4 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 15:48

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

these are the two most widely available brands of 'prickly heat' powder in Thailand:
    Hula Hula
    Prickly Heat (Snake brand) - the one that #3 mentioned
    if you see Thai people (especially kids) with white powder on their necks after their bath, it's usually this powder.

#5 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 20:30

• AmorAloe

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2012

Hi, My name is Claire and I actually sell 100% natural products and I think I can help you out.

My mum suffers from prickly heat too and she has tried everything like yourself but nothing worked. So I gave her my Aloe Sunlotion SPF30 and she loves it, in fact the whole family does! Her prickly heat has stopped and we have been in Florida for 3 weeks, she uses the Aloe Sunlotion followed by Aloe Gelly (which cools the skin down and stops the itchiness) or the Aloe Lotion.

If you would like to try my products I have an online shop and you can get it delivered anywhere in the world. There is also a 60 day money back guarantee as well.

I think along with the Aloe Sunlotion, Aloe Gelly and Aloe Lotion you could benefit from the Propolis creme as well as that helps eczema, psoriasis and itchy skin. It is great for like nappy rashes and the rash girls get in between there thighs from the heat.

If you would like more information please email me - claireamcculloch@gmail.com

More than happy to help you out :)

Thank you,
    Claire
    x

#6 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 20:33

• AmorAloe

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2012

Hi Jay,

I have and Aloe Sunscreen which will help your prickly heat. The Aloe in it repairs the skin and it's SPF 30. My mum suffers from prickly heat, she has tried everything and nothing worked apart from my Aloe Sunscreen. She used that followed by either Aloe Gelly as an aftersun or the Aloe Lotion. Her prickly heat didn't come up once in Florida for 3 weeks. She was so delighted. Most sun creams trap the heat in you causing blocked pores.

If you look at the first ingredient in sun lotion 9 times out of 10 it has oil, alcohol or water as the first ingredient which is doing nothing for your skin. All it is doing is blocking your pores and causing you to burn by trapping the heat in.

You can easily buy my products and see how you get on. Private message me for my online store site as not sure I can post it on here.

Prickly heat can be prevented :)

x

#7 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 04:00

• littletimmy

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012

If you do get it visit a doctor. Don't do what i did and visit the chemist and show them. At first they gave me a cream to put on ( made it worse, keeping it moist) then they gave another cream and tablets. The tablets for an STD :S. Being lazy i couldn't be bothered putting the cream on the last day of my trip and when i landed at home it was 10 times better already. Wish i hadnt listened to the pharmacist as it wouldnt of ruined the 2 weeks of my holiday. It was during songkran and it made me super cranky getting soaked with water which instantly made it worse, to top it of i got sunstroke and burnt the lining on my stomach! All in 2 weeks, imagine what several months is going to do to me!

#8 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 16:33

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

Could try Tea Tree Body Powder.

#9 Posted: 28/3/2014 - 01:53

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

In Cambodia there's a brand of powder called Curash, which I think is available in Thailand too. It works for me! Prevention is easier than a cure (except to leave the hot place, which generally does the trick!). Dust it on as much as you can. Unlike some of the other powders, it doesn't have a menthol base.

#10 Posted: 30/3/2014 - 21:49

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.