Health and safety forum

Taking 6 months of Doxy to SEA

• GhostOfTomJ-
    oad

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2012

I've just gone to the chemist to get my 6 months worth of Doxy for malaria prophylaxis, and have come back with a huge bag full! I'm going to need to take them out of their boxes and just take the strips, I will have about 22 strips, will this be a problem, or do I need to keep them in their original boxes? I will have a copy of the script. If I do need to keep them in their original boxes I will have to figure something else out because they are going to need their own backpack!

#1 Posted: 3/10/2012 - 11:49

• Advertisement

• sitata

Click here to learn more about sitata
    Joined Travelfish
    5th July, 2012
    Location Earth

I took a six month trip to Asia several years ago and was also on Doxy. I had no problem taking all my meds out of their boxes and was never questioned when crossing borders. You should be fine as long as you have a copy of the prescriptions just in case.

-Adam
    Co-founder, Sitata

#2 Posted: 3/10/2012 - 18:07

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You shouldn't have a problem, but considering tearing off the front of the box and carrying that with you (along with the script).

#3 Posted: 3/10/2012 - 19:15

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'm just wondering whether taking an antibiotic for 6 months is a good choice. I spent quite a few years in S.E. Asia and have rarely seen cases of malaria.Doxycycline has side effects as well. A friend of mine was violently sick for days until she realised it was the Doxy that was causing it. I'm sure you'd be better off with sprays and a net unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the countryside. As far as carrying it is concerned the antibiotic is freely available without prescription so no problems.

#4 Posted: 4/10/2012 - 12:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree, sayadian. I carried around a few months supply once, but never actually used any. I hated the idea of taking them, and in the end, you have to protect from mosquito bites anyhow because of the greater risk of Dengue Fever in places. Since the OP has already bought them, then bring them in case you plan to enter a high risk zone - but I wouldn't be taking them every day. You only need to start 2 days before entering a high risk area - and I don't believe there are that many high risk areas along the standard tourist trails.

#5 Posted: 4/10/2012 - 15:02

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

Certainly take them out of their boxes. I don't see taking the prescription is necessary - it's available over the counter in SE Asia anyway. I would agree with others - I've just got malarials for Burma - but I wouldn't bother for large areas of SEAsia e.g. Malaysia, Thailand,Bali

#6 Posted: 4/10/2012 - 18:24

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I took roughly that amount of doxy with me last year and had no problem. Just packed a "lunch box" full of the strips and includes a couple of the flattened boxes they came in. I didn't have a script.

Crossed a Lao border, Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia and China without issue.

I still have most of the doxy sat in my room haha

#7 Posted: 4/10/2012 - 23:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.