Health and safety forum

vaccination

• bullred1

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2012

Hello folks!
    Travelling to SE Asia next year and looking for a cheap place to get vaccines for that region. Does anyone knows any in London? Thanks for the answers

#1 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 16:20

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Not sure about London but guessing it is the same and that there are no really cheap options. Just find the closest travel clinic/pharmacy that offers what you need. The only difference I found over here was that some places will charge you an extra fee for each visit on top of the vaccine costs, might be able to find a place that doesn't do that.

Also not sure how old you are or what you guys get for vaccinations in school over there but that would also be worth looking into to check if you already have some of the vaccines you need. I was lucky to find out I already had HEP B from school so only had to get Hep A and Typhoid. Saved me a good chunk of money.

They will also say you should look into Japanese Encephalitis but that is rare and crazy expensive so only take if you are going to a really bad spot for it. Malaria pills depending on where you are travelling(usually recommend if travelling through Laos and Cambodia countrysides/rainforests etc), even then it still comes down to personal choice just research it well and decide. Then there is travellers diarrhea treatment, not to expensive and I have heard it is worth taking along(also lasts for 2-3 years or something like that).

#2 Posted: 6/11/2012 - 17:34

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

Current recommendations are Twinrix which is a combination vaccine and provides you with lifelong immunity against hepatitis 'A' & 'B' and DTP, another combination vaccine which provides immunity for 10 years against diphtheria, tetanus and polio. Both are given as a course, that is to say, after the first jab, there's a one month interval followed by third one six months later. Your physician can arrange these for you.

There's been an outbreak of diphtheria which is a respiratory disease in Laos and northern Thailand recently and a number of people have died, so best not to skip this one. See: http://www.aseanaffairs.com/asean_news/health_business/dephtheria_spread_in_thailand_sparks_aec_concerns

#3 Posted: 1/1/2013 - 08:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.