Health and safety forum

Itinerary help with medical needs (rabies shots)

• aireick

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2013

Hi everyone-
    I am in Chiang Mai Thailand and last evening when I was walking south through the old city 2 dogs from in front of a dark storefront started barking at me. I backed away to give them space but they pursued me and one started to aggressively try to attack and did manage to bite my leg. Thankfully I was wearing pants and upon closer inspection, I don't think that the dogs teeth actually punctured my pants, however I do have bite marks and it drew blood.

I went to the hospital and was given a tetanus booster as well as the first dose of VeroRab. I now have 4 remaining shots that I need to get over the next 4 weeks so I'm looking for itinerary advise.

I'm in SEA until February 13.
    My current itinerary was to head to Chiang Khong/Huay Xai and take the slow boat to Luang Prabang then down to Vientiane and was hoping to get to the 4000 islands. Then I was going to fly down to Krabi and spend some time on the west coast/islands back in Thailand (this part of my trip I haven't figured out in great detail yet.

My questions:
    Is going through Laos while I need to get more VeroRab vaccines a good idea?
    Should I spend more time in Thailand for better/safer medical care?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks,Erik

#1 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 22:53

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I deleted the double post and moved this to travel health section as it is a better fit.

If you are still in Chiang Mai I would ask at the clinic that gave you the first shot.

I would GUESS that you'd be able to get a shot in Luang Prabang and Vientiane but anywhere else in Laos I'd guess would be pretty iffy. Firstly any hospital would have to have the serum in the first place, but secondly it needs to be kept refrigerated at all times -- so as soon as you're in an area that is subject to power outages, you have a potential problem.

If it was me, I'd be inclined to reverse the itinerary and head to the southern islands unless the clinic in Chiang Mai can confirm without doubt, you can get the shots in Laos.

One of our researchers was in Laos late last year and ended up dealing with the main hospital in Luang Prabang -- I got the impression it wasn't an experience he's keen to repeat.

Start at the clinic and take it from there.

Good luck

#2 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 23:08

• aireick

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2013

Thanks for the reply and advice. I received similar advice from a few others though the doctor said that I "should" be ok in Laos and they will have the vaccine in most areas, however I'm gonna err on the side of caution. A bit of backtracking and some unplanned flights and I should be able to get some of my Laos plans worked in after I receive the Day 14 shot before my holiday ends.

#3 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 10:00

• Elspethmcg

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2014

Hello! Just a quick one for whoever might come across this problem in the future! I was in the same position and found two different types of rabies injection in Luang Prabang - the Chinese hospital had one sort and then a private clinic I was taken to had Verorab, the type I was after (though I could have gone with either of them I chose to continue with the same make). It is a very common vaccine and everyone was familiar with it. Vientiene definitely has it too, according to the medical staff I was communicating with.

#4 Posted: 4/5/2014 - 09:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Rong without Rabies shots? ... By Knowlan on 20 Nov 2011 1 4072 20 Nov 2011
Medical Clinic for shots in HCMC? ... By DLuek on 26 Jan 2009 0 1950 26 Jan 2009