Health and safety forum

When to come doxy?

• GhostOfTomJ-
    oad

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2012

I've been on dozy for about 3 months now, I started taking in Laos, as I spend some time in the north, then stayed on it for Cambodia, and then was going to take it for 2 more weeks to finish the course in Vietnam. However, I then decided to go to Malaysia, and decided to stay on it especially for going into the national parks in sarawak. I am going to be in Thailand again for about 6 weeks, starting in the south and finishing in the north. I don't know if the south is malarial, there is a lot of conflicting information. So should I keep taking it until I go home, or come off it after 2 weeks in Thailand? I've had no side effects at all.

#1 Posted: 2/3/2013 - 09:21

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Personally I wouldn't be taking malarials at all for travel in Thailand -- I've not heard of malaria in southern Thailand - dengue fever much more of a risk. So I'd be advising come off it -- but that's just a personal opinion!

#2 Posted: 2/3/2013 - 18:06

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Unless you are planning on spending nights in the jungle I wouldn't advise anyone to take doxy for regular travel around Thai, Lao, Cambodia etc.

Even though you aren't experiencing side-effects (you're one of the lucky few!!), it's really not a good idea to be on powerful anti-biotics for months at a time when there's nothing wrong with you. I've spent time in rural villages in South Thailand, Lao and Cambodia and malaria is quite rare, even for people who live there full time (and don't bother with mosquito repellent etc.). Dengue on the other hand... well as Somtam already said, this is much more likely. There have been some seriously worrying reports coming out about doxy linking it to psychotic episodes and worse, but many doctors keep prescribing it for regular backpacking in SE Asia (mine did first time I went), which IMO is totally unnecessary and borderline irresponsible!

Your best bet is to wear long sleeves and trousers at night and use a decent repellent. I don't use deet so I got some pure citronella oil and mixed it with baby oil and it works a treat, although Lao and Isaan people hate the smell for some reason!!

#3 Posted: 5/3/2013 - 10:58

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Unless you are planning on spending nights in the jungle I wouldn't advise anyone to take doxy for regular travel around Thai, Lao, Cambodia etc.

Even though you aren't experiencing side-effects (you're one of the lucky few!!), it's really not a good idea to be on powerful anti-biotics for months at a time when there's nothing wrong with you. I've spent time in rural villages in South Thailand, Lao and Cambodia and malaria is quite rare, even for people who live there full time (and don't bother with mosquito repellent etc.). Dengue on the other hand... well as Somtam already said, this is much more likely. There have been some seriously worrying reports coming out about doxy linking it to psychotic episodes and worse, but many doctors keep prescribing it for regular backpacking in SE Asia (mine did first time I went), which IMO is totally unnecessary and borderline irresponsible!

Your best bet is to wear long sleeves and trousers at night and use a decent repellent. I don't use deet so I got some pure citronella oil and mixed it with baby oil and it works a treat, although Lao and Isaan people hate the smell for some reason!!

#4 Posted: 5/3/2013 - 11:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.