• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I wish I hadn't read that. I like my prawns.

Although not as bad ecologically, it reminds me of seeing small family run fish farms in vietnam with the toilet long drop positioned over the pond... That's just another reason why I don't eat fresh water fish in SEA..

#2 Posted: 16/3/2013 - 16:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you delve into most foods, you will find some practice or other that you won't like. All meat production at a minimum includes the slaughtering of the animal. Vegetable production invariably includes some level of crap put on the plant to make it grow faster and keep insects off of it. Not to mention the almost slave labor used to plant and harvest it. Perhaps the production of Thai Prawns is an extreme example. Or perhaps not. My sense is that the sea bed is more resilient than intoned here. At the end of the day, most environmental arguements revolve around stop and don't - which is why they remain a hard sell.

#3 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 01:10

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Agreed MM/ I generally cook food from scratch and avoid processed foods to keep my food reasonably wholesome. But I don't like to think too hard about where my meat and veges come from - hyprocritical as that may be. (Chicken comes on a plastic tray, right?) Ignorance is bliss sometimes...

#4 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 01:58

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Lizzy
    I was travelling from Phnom Penh to Kampong Cham about 6 years ago when a Khmer friend of mine saw me looking at the endless line of fish farms.
    'See the rope coming out of the huts. I was told. 'That's so they've got something to hold onto in the morning when they are squatting over the water.'
    Apparently it would make a good tourist attraction since the fish jump up to feed before it hits the water.
    Hope you're not eating breakfast or fish when you read this. ;-)

#5 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 02:43

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Well, I can't say that I'm shocked or surprised. It's gross, but not surprising.... :-/

#6 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 03:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sayadian - recycling at it's most efficient!

#7 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 04:39

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Well, next time you order fish in Cambodia you'll know what you're eating. :-)

#8 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 08:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I don't order fish anywhere. I don't like fish. So I'm good to go on that point.

#9 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 22:36

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Living in Isan and not liking fish! That's like living in the Sahara and not liking sand. :-)

#10 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 03:46

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Does limit my diet. Thank Christ Issan is moving rapidly into the 21st century and I can supplement my diet with real food.

#11 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 04:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.