Health and safety forum

Safety of Dorms

• DanielJWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2013

Hi All

Me and My Friend are planning on travelling in South East Asia early next year and are currently looking at different types of accommodation.
    We have looked at Private Rooms in hostels/hotels as well as Dorm Rooms, and even though we like the idea of having a private room it appears that dorm rooms are invariably cheaper. But my main question is, are dorm rooms safe? I mean in general. I'm just a bit nervous about it because I've never been travelling before and don't really know what to expect, I'm quite a shy person so the idea of sharing a room with half a dozen strangers scares me a little (One of my main reasons for travelling is to get over my nervousness). Obviously every establishment will be different but if someone could give me a general idea to calm my nerves that would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any other travelling advice that would also be awesome. Looking at going to China, Vietnam, Cambodia and Malaysia and am really looking forward to it

Many Thanks in advance
    Daniel

#1 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 03:28

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi Daniel,

People stay in dorms all over the world all the time and you don't hear too many horror stories. Occasionally you'll hear of someone leaving valuables lying about while leaving the room and having someone pocket them, but that's few and far between and of course it can be prevented. Most dorms offer lockers to guests for free or a small fee. What exactly are you worried about? The guy sleeping next to you happens to be a sleepwalker and happens to have a dream that he's being attacked by a crocodile at the exact spot where you're sleeping? By the sounds of it, a little dorm time might do you good.

With that said, guesthouses in Vietnam and Cambodia are so cheap that you might as well get private rooms, particularly if you're traveling with someone else. Malaysia is a bit pricier and there are some good dorms in Kuala Lumpur and Penang, etc. for budget travelers. I'm really not familiar with China.

Just loosen up and go with the flow -- you'll be fine.

#2 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 10:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.