• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

This is just a bit of anecdotal FYI from Indonesia:

A colleague of mine here in NZ is from Indonesia and is currently visiting family in Bandung . Last week she was visiting other family in Sumatra (in Bukittinggi area). Her young daughter became feverish and after some blood tests, etc, it turns out she has both dengue fever and typhoid. She's responded well to antibiotics and is well on her way to recovery which is good - but camping out in the Bandung Hospital for a week has definitely put a dampener on the family holiday.

The hospital staff mentioned that both dengue and typhoid are endemic in Asia generally at the moment - and that Indonesia actually ran out of vaccinations in the last month. They're seeing quite a few cases coming through the door.

So... if you're travelling in SEA, play it safe, and get your Typhoid vaccinations (and Hep A wouldn't hurt either). Of course, you can't vaccinate against dengue fever, so wear repellent and cover up as much as you can.

#1 Posted: 6/5/2013 - 15:16

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Your post was timely. It reminded me to check my vaccinations and I am due a typhoid jab. Typhoid vaccination is every three years. Dengue fever is also called breakbone fever (says it all, doesn't it). I've had it once and it's not something I would like to experience again so I'll stick to the above advice.

#2 Posted: 7/5/2013 - 03:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Dengue fever ... By cmz11 on 1 Aug 2008 10 3755 5 Aug 2008
I'm down with dengue fever, so... ... By somtam2000 on 16 Sep 2010 8 3175 4 Dec 2010
Dengue Fever outbreak ... By sassafrass on 9 Jun 2013 34 3381 13 Jun 2013
Malaria/Dengue Fever? ... By ChrisM48 on 11 Jan 2009 5 4975 11 Feb 2009
Confuse Dengue Fever for Malaria? ... By tatham on 25 May 2010 9 5678 6 Jun 2010
Tested for Dengue Fever - Bollocks ... By PeterJW on 9 Apr 2012 13 7587 9 Sep 2012
What is the word on Dengue Fever? Prevention? Treatment? ... By exacto on 9 Jan 2014 3 1328 28 Mar 2014