Health and safety forum

Experience with depo-provera birth control abroad?

• Rachltan

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2013

Greetings&Salutations!
    I am in the beginning stages of prepping for my first long-term SE Asia backpacking/expat trip (at least one year) and am currently researching the topic of birth control. I have already looked into the pros and cons of other BC's, but have not found sufficient enough information on the depo-provera shot. I know that a number of users opt to carry refill syringes with them. I'd like to know more about the availability of this form of BC in the different countries. Where would be the safest places to obtain it? What is the cost? And most importantly, can I trust the effectiveness of the medication there? I've read a few articles online warning travelers to be wary of medication scams overseas.
    Any info would be most helpful and appreciated!

#1 Posted: 24/5/2013 - 08:13

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I am not familiar with that type of birth control... however, I am assuming here you are travelling with your boyfriend or husband and hence the requirement. If not, Condom - for obvious reasons I hope. If you want I can ask my pharmacist here if they carry it. I live in provincial Thailand.

#2 Posted: 24/5/2013 - 11:28

• Rachltan

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2013

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I will be traveling with my boyfriend so we won't be taking condoms. If it's not out of your way, it would be very helpful if you could ask your pharmacist! :)

#3 Posted: 3/6/2013 - 14:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.