Health and safety forum

Malaria Medicine

• crystalrsh

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2013
    Location United States

I will be going to Thailand the beginning of March 2014, then Laos in April, and Cambodia in May. I have talked with a doctor and I will be getting my vaccinations that are needed for the trip. She said she recommends it but its not required to take malaria medicine. I'm not sure the exact whereabouts I will be in these countries but of course I want to be prepared. Some people have said its not something you will need if you stay more in the touristy areas. Advice?

#1 Posted: 27/8/2013 - 10:20

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

There is no one size fits all answer to your question. Assessing risk depends where you going, when you are going and what your planned activities are.

Even within a country the risk for malaria is variable. In general, urban areas are zero to low risk and rural areas beside the rain forest are much higher risk. So if you are going on an extended jungle trek in a high risk area than you will need prophylaxis.

March and April are among the driest months in South-East Asia and that lowers the risk somewhat. May is a little wetter but is still not yet the full-blown monsoon.

You can also consider "standby emergency treatment of malaria" instead of prophylaxis provided you have the appropriate risk profile.

#2 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 00:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Malaria medicine advice ... By gordzilla on 4 Oct 2010 3 2593 6 Oct 2010