Health and safety forum

Finding raw nuts and wholegrain cereals in Phnom Penh

• Patricia

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2013

Hi everyone!

I've just arrived in Phnom Penh for a six-month stay and went around in search for food. I was quite depressed, I cannot seem to find anywhere raw (and unsalted) nuts like cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, or cereals (wholegrain or flakes).
    I am gluten-intolerant and have to avoid salt, sugar, fried stuff, generally I have no problem finding food. but here everything seems to be fried or deep-fried, everywhere there is a sauce and at supermarkets I only saw roasted and salted nuts. Plus, I am allergic to peanuts. :(
    I don't know wherelse to look, I've been to the Central Market today, but there everything was also roasted and salted. I could only find saome raw watermelon seeds...
    Does anyone have any suggestion? Can I order online if not and is there a particular site from which to do it?
    I don't want this to put a damper on my stay here.

Thanks a billion!

#1 Posted: 28/9/2013 - 05:29

• Advertisement

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

You must check Old market, what is called "Psar nath" .
    Im not sure there is nuts, but you can check.

Good Phnompenh days for you!

Regards Mixxat

#2 Posted: 28/9/2013 - 07:47

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Old market and Central market in general are the same when referred to.

Better chance in O'russey (Bamboo) Market. Not to be confused with Rusian market. At O'russey you should be able to find raw things.
    For the grains have you tried Lucky Market? Otherwise ask at any bakery or LSH which is a wholesale supplier for businesses. They could definitely import it for you.

#3 Posted: 30/9/2013 - 03:49

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Actually, they are two different markets. Old Market (Phsar Chas) is the small market near riverside, behind the Night Market. Central Market (Phsar Thmei) is the large yellow dome near Street 51.

Patricia - I'd suggest you go to find ARTillery, which is a lovely little cafe serving delicious wholesome food. They have some items for sale and can probably point you in the direction of stockists. There are two locations, but my favourite is just off Street 240 (it's an alley called Street 240 and a half). You should see a sign near the wine warehouse pointing down there.

You could also try Thai Hout supermarket on Monivong or Bayon supermarket on Russian Boulevard. They often seem to have stock that Lucky and Pencil don't. Also agree that O'Russei Market is a treasure trove of food stuffs, if you're prepared to go hunting :-)

#4 Posted: 1/10/2013 - 04:34

• Patricia

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2013

Hey!
    Thank you all for the replies and very useful information. I've done my research prior to coming here and I could only manage to check the Central Market and the ones on the riverfront. I will visit O'russey and Russian Market, since everybody speals so high of them. Hope I will find my little treasures as well. :) And I've noted down the supermarkets as well, Lucky was not lucky for me, not a single trace of natural stuff. The mere sight of at least 3 lines of ingredients in dried fruit makes me shudder.
    As for ARTillery, yes, I know it and have already dinned at them a couple of times, it's my kind of food. Also Naturae by Asia Bio on St. 240 has a really good menu and healthy options in terms of meals and smoothies. Their tables are also nice, you should check them out.
    I'll leave my hunting for after Pchum Ben, as I understand even the markets will be closed during this festival. :(

#5 Posted: 1/10/2013 - 11:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1161 2 Mar 2014