Health and safety forum

What is the word on Dengue Fever? Prevention? Treatment?

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've noticed several posts lately where folks like Geer1 mention they caught Dengue Fever. If you don't mind, will you tell us under what circumstances you think you caught it, what the symptoms were, how you manged to diagnosis it, and what treatments are available to at least treat the symptoms if there isn't a cure?

Obviously covering up and using bug spray help prevent, but nothing is 100 percent, and even a blind mozzie gets lucky some time. I guess what I'm asking apart from how to prevent catching it is what to do if someone thinks they caught it.

Thanks and regards.

#1 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 12:11

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey exacto,

This post on dengue fever is related to when I had it a coupla years ago, towards the end I cover briefly what the onset was for me.

Generally once you have it it is about pain management and staying hydrated. I ended up in hospital for a couple of days, but that isn't always the case -- it can be kind of mild in some cases and I know people who had it and just laid around at home till it went away.

In my case I had a doc visiting every day or so who took a blood test to monitor levels (of something the name of which I can't remember sorry) and once that dropped below a certain level he sent me to hospital.

If you do catch it, believe me you'll know you've got it. I went from feeling a little off colour to having a 40+ fever and in considerable pain in a couple of hours -- I really don't recommend it!

Prevention is the best option - dengue carrying mozzies bite in the early morning and have white bands on their legs (free advice: kill all mozzies not just those with white bands!) so early morning is the time to be more careful.

Some areas are more prone to mozzies - I caught it in Sanur (Bali) which has a major mozzie problem - since moving to the other side of the island, mozzies far less of an issue.

Lastly, a friend here who had malaria and dengue at the same time reckons the dengue was far worse - but I don't know how she knew which was what!

#2 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 18:28

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

yuck! pain behind the eyes and in bones and joints. nope. i don't want that.

thanks for the link. the article contained exactly the details i needed. cheers.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 22:14

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

I had it, but it was back in the late 80s. I believe I contracted it on Ko Pha-Ngan. There was nothing there then apart from a few huts on the beach and a couple of shops. And mosquitoes, obviously. On my way back to the mainland I noticed I had a sore throat. I was heading for Hat Yai and thence to Malaysia. I spent a night in Hat Yai in a very feverish condition. Was alternately freezing and boiling. Took a train down into Malaysia and went to stay in a hotel in Penang. I remember when we got to the border to check through immigration I fainted on the platform. By the time I got to Georgetown I was in a bad way. Itchy hands and ankles, vomiting, diarrhoea, unable to keep anything down, water on my skin painful, aching joints. I flew to Singapore and then home (Australia). Saw doctor, had tests, it was dengue. Could not go back to work for about 2 months. Received a phone call from the Health Dept asking me had I been to South East Asia. My doctor had had to report the case to the Dept - at that time there was no dengue in Queensland.

And yes, I was aware of dengue and malaria and did take precautions.

#4 Posted: 28/3/2014 - 01:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
I'm down with dengue fever, so... ... By somtam2000 on 16 Sep 2010 8 3125 4 Dec 2010
Dengue fever ... By cmz11 on 1 Aug 2008 10 3709 5 Aug 2008
Dengue Fever outbreak ... By sassafrass on 9 Jun 2013 34 3330 13 Jun 2013
Malaria/Dengue Fever? ... By ChrisM48 on 11 Jan 2009 5 4916 11 Feb 2009
Tested for Dengue Fever - Bollocks ... By PeterJW on 9 Apr 2012 13 7449 9 Sep 2012
Confuse Dengue Fever for Malaria? ... By tatham on 25 May 2010 9 5542 6 Jun 2010
High incidence of Typhoid and Dengue Fever at the moment ... By busylizzy on 6 May 2013 1 2682 7 May 2013