Health and safety forum

Sick for 48 hours in Thailand

• SoloGirls

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2013

So despite my efforts and doing my best to avoid questionable food, it seems I've gotten something. But it's kind of weird. I haven't thrown up or anything, but have had a very sick feeling in my stomach off and on for 2 days now. Eating makes it worse, but then I'll be really hungry and will have a full on appetite. Then I eat and feel sick. I hadn't felt like throwing up this whole time.... until tonight. But I lied down for an hour or so and it passed. It's just an odd sick feeling I've never experienced before. I can't really describe it. Has anybody experienced this? I'm really hoping it passes soon. I don't want to take travelers diarrhea pills or anything because I don't have those symptoms.

#1 Posted: 7/3/2014 - 11:08

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Prob some mild bug. Go to pharmacy and get some amoxy.

#2 Posted: 8/3/2014 - 03:14

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Go to a doctor. The cause could be viral in which case antibiotics won't help you.

#3 Posted: 8/3/2014 - 06:42

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I've had similar symptoms more than once. Probably some bad food, but doesn't sound like it's anything too bad. I'd take goonistik's advice if it doesn't pass in a couple more days (or gets worse). And obviously don't eat anything too spicy or drink much.

#4 Posted: 8/3/2014 - 09:09

• SoloGirls

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2013

I haven't been eating spicy food. But even if I were, I always eat very spicy food and it's not an issue. I just don't want to waste time going to the doctor if they are just going to take one look at me and think "tourist - diarrhea." I don't have those symptoms at all. My stomach feels empty (not hungry), and like something is eating it from the inside. I don't know if that makes sense. And if I burp, I feel that up into my throat. And moving seems to make it worse. I went to pharmacy. They basically gave me tums I think. Didn't help, but cost a ton for what I got. I've wondered if maybe I have a parasite of some kind?

#5 Posted: 8/3/2014 - 11:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, assume the worst:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgjM-teND8

#6 Posted: 8/3/2014 - 12:15

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

From what you describe, it sounds like you're stomach's gotten irritated by some bug/bad food, and is producing too much acid (that explains the sick feeling and the discomfort when you burb, and also means the tums the pharmacy gave you should help a bit). Take Dluek's advice (he's right about the spicy food as well - chili can irritate the lining of the stomach and intestine, which is why you're supposed to avoid it when if your stomach is already irritated). If it gets worse, go see a doc, otherwise wait for it to pass.
    Feel better soon.

#7 Posted: 8/3/2014 - 12:18

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Sounds like a minor case of food poisoning coupled with a minor case of paranoia. But obviously you'll need to see a doctor if it gets worse. Doctors in Thailand aren't touts. They're not going to sum you up based on the color of your skin or the fact that you're a tourist. They almost always speak good English and Thailand's medical scene is generally quite good. In nearly every touristy area you'll find an international-grade hospital or clinic (Bangkok Hospital, for example, of which there are many all over the country).

#8 Posted: 8/3/2014 - 19:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

This thread has continued for a few days now, so if you aren't better yet, it is a good idea to go to the doctor. I agree with the others that the medical care in Thailand is typically quite good and usually inexpensive, particularly by western standards. Hopefully you've got travel insurance, and any costs beyond a basic visit will be covered. Ask your guest house where the best local hospital is and go there.

You are away from home in a strange place, and the last thing you want is to be sick while you travel. It is understandable if you feel more concerned than you normally would. A doctor visit will help figure out what it is. They can take a blood sample, and may even take a stool sample, which is awkward for sure, but it will help make certain about a parasite.

I had something similar during a visit to Paris once, although with more severe symptoms. I tried to tough it out for a few days but after a trip to the clinic there, the doc quickly identified the problem and prescribed something that had me feeling much improved within an hour and nearly fully recovered within a day.

No need to worry. Get the medical attention you need so you can get better and continue your trip. Get well soon.

#9 Posted: 8/3/2014 - 20:02

• tamara_91

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

maybe it's because of some insect bite?

#10 Posted: 1/4/2014 - 05:55

• Advertisement

• tamara_91

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

I'm sorry can you write this post? I've written it by mistake :)

#11 Posted: 1/4/2014 - 05:58

• irishcanadi-
    an

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2014

I am being serious and not taking the £$£$. You could be pregnant. Happens to a lot of backpackers. The condoms are not good quality.

#12 Posted: 11/4/2014 - 00:46

• mixxat

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012
    Location Other

Nobody in here can say what is wrong with you.
    Why not to go doctor, they can test parasites, bacteries and everything. They would be happy to help you.
    Especially if you have insurance. Dont waste your time thinking what is wrong.

#13 Posted: 11/4/2014 - 08:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.