Health and safety forum

Cholera and Diarrhea Epidemic Outbreaks in Vietnam?

• VanVan

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2007

Here in the U.S., I've heard the bad news about cholera outbreak and diarrheaa epidemic disease in Viet Nam, especially in the north.

Is it really bad in Viet Nam?

We'll be in Ha Noi next week. What should I prepare?

#1 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 04:05

• Advertisement

• manooe

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Cholera outbreak and diarrheaa epidemic disease in Viet Nam has some merit on the surface, however its not so serious that you have to skip ur trip to Vietnam.

I found this on internet, hope this help:

Another bit of authentic excitement for us tourists: northern Vietnam is having a cholera outbreak. The hotel is sliding elaborate warnings under our doors about twice a day:

Cholera is an intestinal infection. The bacterium is spread through food or water that has been contimated by the feces of an infected person. One to five days after infection, patients develop severe, painless, watery diarrhea, often called "rice-water" stools. Vomiting also occurs in most patients.

Usually, the symptoms are relatively mild and respond to oral rehydration. Severe cases of cholera (10-20%) can cause life-threatening dehydration. . .

All travellers to Vietnam should pay strict attention to hygeine and be vigilant in their choice of food and water.

Drink only boiled or bottled water, water that has been treated with chlorine or iodine, or carbonated beverages.

Aboid ice, as it may have been made with unsafe water.

Choose food that has been thoroughly cooked while fresh and is served hot.

Avoid street vendors, pre-peeled fruit or salad, fish and shellfish.

I was halfway through my salad at lunch today when I remembered this injunction. I kept eating on the theory that if I'd gotten cholera, I already had it, so I might as well enjoy it.

The food in Vietnam, incidentally, has the highest average quality of any place I've ever travelled*. Even the rubber chicken meals at the press club are actually worth eating.

*Some friends may recall my rhapsodies over Vienna, but this does not count. Since I am no longer able, for various reasons, to spend four solid days eating nothing but pastry, the comparison is not fair.
    Source: http://meganmcardle.theatlantic.com/archives/2007/11/travel_in_a_time_of_cholera.php

#2 Posted: 14/11/2007 - 09:48

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Both Ha Noi and HCMC have now got squads of health inspectors who daily check many eateries - indoors and outdoors - and they have improved both food hygene as well as staff cleanliness.

In Hoi An at this time the excessive flooding has caused authorities concern about general population health.

The essential thing is to:
    (1) Maintain YOUR personal hygene and wash your hands throughly;
    (2) Eat only REALLY HOT food for outdoor stands;
    (3) Floow the crowd. IF you see a food stall which has many customers it usually indicates that the locals know it has low 'sickness' reputation and that the food is turned over quickly because of the number of customers.

Having lived in VN for many, many years I have only had a single attack of the SaiGon S*hits so I think it must work.

#3 Posted: 15/11/2007 - 03:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.