Health and safety forum

Typhoid vaccination available in PP or SR?

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

I live in Japan and it is impossible to get this vaccination here as the government has stopped providing licences for it (crazy but true!)

I'm up to date with other vaccinations but I'm worried about spending four weeks in Camboida without the jab as I always get stomach bugs within a week of being in a developing country. Diarrhoea I can deal with, but worrying that it may be typhoid I can do without!

I only ever drink bottled water and am pretty careful with food, but always get sick when my partner/friends are fine as it is.

Could anyone recommend a clinic where I could get the jab somewhat easily on arrival? I don't think my insurance would cover it, but I'm not too bothered about the cost, I'd rather have peace of mind.

Thanks for any pointers

Rebecca

#1 Posted: 8/12/2007 - 10:47

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Rebecca,

I'm almost positive you can get it in Phnom Penh but I'm not sure about Siem reap. See the Phnom Penh introduction for some contacts for health outlets.

#2 Posted: 8/12/2007 - 15:25

• steveatkins

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2007

Yes can defo get it in Phnom Penh, i got my booster there a few months ago. The place to go is the Pasteur Institute, part of Calmette Hospital on Monivong Boulevard (Phnom Penh's main street). Don't need to make an appointment, may just need to wake the nurse up ;-)

#3 Posted: 23/12/2007 - 16:28

• Ashe88

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2007

FYI - the typhoid shot (whether it be for straight typhoid or for both typhoid and hep a) hurts like a bitch. Couldn't use my arm for the rest of the day or sleep on it!

#4 Posted: 28/12/2007 - 17:38

• steveatkins

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2007

Big softie, had no problems after the original jab or the booster...

#5 Posted: 30/12/2007 - 16:05

• dancingroads

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2006

I'm with ashe88; it DOES hurt! made me a bit flu-ey for a day as well :-( (yeah I'm a big softie too)

#6 Posted: 30/12/2007 - 16:43

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

Hi. Thanks for your messages.

I emailed both International SOS Medical Centre (they never replied) and Naga Clinic who replied straightaway.

I turned up, got offered an appointment but on asking "Can't I get it done now?" Was then ushered into a room and the nurse arrived, gave me the box to check and jabbed away. In and out in 20 minutes and it cost $20.

Yes, it HURT. All day and most of the next. Not as bad as the rabies jab, but not far off! I had a big red painful lump (and I'm no softie!)

#7 Posted: 9/1/2008 - 17:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.