Health and safety forum

Jap Encephalitis inooculations in Thailand?

• Anderson85

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2008

Is it possible to get inoculations in Thailand?

Are they (Jap Encephalitis) necessary if I plan to visit Chiang Mai (briefly), Bangkok and the gulf island during July and August?

Thanks, Andy

#1 Posted: 22/5/2008 - 08:08

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I expect they are available but they really aren't necessary. It's a mosquito borne disease so probably more prevalent in the rainy season. If you're using DEET repellents to avoid catching Dengue Fever (which is the only mosquito born disease that presents any risk in Thailand) then that will also help prevent you catching Japanese Encephalitis anyway.

I've spent a lot of time in Thailand no one I know has ever caught the Japanese Encephalitis or had the inoculation....it's pretty rare. I know several expats who have had Dengue though. There's no specific prophylaxis for that as yet and no cure, so probably wise to use mosquito repellents.

#2 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 22:59

• Anderson85

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2008

Thanks SBE. Your reply has reinforced my decision not to get the injections. I assume that you cover exposed flesh with DEET from waking to sleep.

Is it necessary to do so while at the beach during the day or just at dawn and dusk?

#3 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 23:22

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hmm. The Aedes aegypti mosquito (which also transmits yellow fever but don't worry about that) feeds during the day so I suppose I should say use repellent all day. In practice this is pretty impossible on the beach as you'll be swimming etc. (I suspect DEET might cause photosensibility in some people too) There are far fewer mosquitoes about during the day anyway...main feeding time is early morning and in the evening. In jungles there are more during the day than on a beach.

Put it this way ...I'm always forgetting to use a repellent and the only thing that's ever happened has been itchy mosquito bites! ;-)

#4 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 23:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Anderson
    Not that I am really a warm and sensitive type - but calling the Japanese "Japs" has gone out of vogue about the same time that calling blacks "Niggers" did. Although I am sure no slight was intended.

Now that I think about it, an old friend of mine, who was American black, used to say to me all the time "MAC, my nigger". I always took it as a positive. I'm white.

#5 Posted: 15/6/2009 - 12:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.