Health and safety forum

Rabies and Jap enc

• alexr

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2008

Hi!

Whilst I realise that my doctor/ travel clinic is the best place to get this kind of advice, I would really appreciate any guidance anyone can offer as I seem to be getting conflicting information from medical professionals and such like!

I am visiting Thailand (inc Chiang Mai), Laos, Vietnam (including Sapa) and Cambodia over a period of 7 weeks altogether.

I have had the major jabs - hep a and b, typoid, diptheria, tetanus and polio and of course will be taking malaria tablets with me. However, I am unclear whether or not to get Rabies and Jap enc. The most remote areas we will be visiting are Chiang Mai and Sapa in Vietnam and we will only be in these areas for a few days at a time. Therefore, is there any need for such jabs as Rabies since more often than not we will be near a medical centre? And I have heard that Jap enc is only necessary if we were in rural areas for more than a month?

I hope you can help!

Thanks

#1 Posted: 21/7/2008 - 04:44

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi alexr,

For malarials, you may want to give this story on malaria pills a read

I wouldn't worry about the rabies shot as if you're bitten you'll still need to get a second shot anyway, so better off just to run the other direction whenever you come across a dog, cat or person foaming at the mouth.

Jac enc, also I'd say depends on where you'll be. You've covered all the main bases (Hep etc) -- I guess this would be one extra layer of protection, but personally I probably wouldn't bother with it.

#2 Posted: 21/7/2008 - 08:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.