Health and safety forum

mosquitoes in Cambodia and Vietnam

• Patrickx8

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008

Does anyone have any current real info on mosquito protection in Vietnam and Cambodia?
    \
    It seems that dengue fever is the real main problem and the best and only protection is wearing Deet or something comparable at all times and also wearing light cotton long sleeve clothing.

The places I will be include the North of Vietnam, Hoi An, the beach in Sihanoukville and in Siem Reap. Same advice for all locales?

Thanks very much

Patrick

#1 Posted: 27/12/2008 - 02:33

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Patrick

Was in all these areas (but not Sihanoukville) last October (2008). I went well off the beaten track and into wet (paddy) areas as well as swamps. Also travelled via mekong to Phnom Penh.

I don't think you'll find mozzies a problem as nearly all areas that you'd go to that are low lying are largely urban (except if you go to [say] Moc Chao or into back blocks of the Mekong).

That said, carrying repellant is advisable. I didn't use (as found no evidence of mozzies), but wore long pants (you get respect from locals when in long pants), short sleeve shirt, open sandals & hat.

I had a packet of Malarone as a backup.

#2 Posted: 27/12/2008 - 15:35

• paulspad2002

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2008

malarone is best meds although not cheap...
    i never take anything tho just mozzie repellent...bushmans if u can get it is the best at minimum 50% deet

#3 Posted: 27/1/2009 - 09:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.