Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Mosquito-borne diseases.
    Many newbie tourists worry about catching malaria when they go to Thailand.

Most expats and seasoned travellers know that you're far more likely to catch dengue fever than malaria.

But there's another mosquito-borne disease which rarely gets a mention on travel forums called Chikungunya. The symptoms are similar to dengue but it causes fewer fatalities.

There seems to be quite a lot of it about in Thailand at the moment, mostly in the the Muslim areas in deep south where few tourists go.

However 4 cases have just been reported in Phuket.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2009/article7340.html

#1 Posted: 13/5/2009 - 15:55

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Quick update. In the past five months, 22,276 people have been found to be infected with the chikungunya virus in Thailand, according to the Public Health Ministry.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/144685/over-22000-thais-infected-by-chikungunya

I don't want to alarm you unduly, but it doesn't cause just joint pain and a high fever. Two hundred and forty people died during an big epidemic of this disease on the island of La Reunion in 2006. The first Chikungunya death in Thailand was reported last week in Trang.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/05/31/national/national_30103997.php

The number of Chikungunya cases is also rising in Malaysia. They are seeing far more cases of Chikungunya than dengue.
    http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=414396

#2 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 13:58

• Freespirit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2009

Chikungunya- which is an epidemic in Asia at the moment.
    Is more deadlier than we can imagine. There have been many deaths related to chikungunya.
    www.bio-medicine.org have many more websites this is just one.
    (Chikungunya was one of more than a dozen agents that the United States researched as potential biological weapons.)
    There is no press coverage of the deaths and the epidemic spread of chikungunya.Yet there is so much press coverage of the swine flu
    why when more people are getting the chikungunya virus which can cause death.

#3 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 21:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

SBE
    This is exactly the opposite of the info I just read. Strange.

#4 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 21:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

#5 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 21:59

• Freespirit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2009

That is the point Im making..There is no press coverage of the epidemic.
    I myself have chikungunya (reason for research on chikungunya)
    I have been to several doctors and hospital's in Thailand looking for a cure. All i have been given in medicine, is for Arthritis and pain killers. There is no cure for chikungunya, only medicine for the swelling(Chikungunya causes joints to swell up like Arthritis ) it is very painful.One very well known international hospital even gave me celebrax, which has been banned in the US and Europe, because it causes heart disease.There are thousands and thousands of people now in the south of Thailand with chikungunya. Now the epidemic has spread to phuketwhere i live . The virus starts to destroy the internal organs Heart, Lungs, liver, kidney's, caused by the chikungunya virus.It is a slow process.Reason why the US stoped using it as a biological war weapon check out www.wikipedia.org
    So the question im asking why is swine flu getting all the press coverage when more people have chikungunya.google chickungya deaths.
    also in some Asian countries people who have died after getting the virus, on their death certificate is only heart failer or liver or lung or kidney failer. Just check out chikungunya deaths in google search and see for your self..There is a cover up going on !

#6 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 23:04

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry Madmac, the last sentence in my previous post wasn't at all well phrased but as there was a link with all the stats I didn't bother making another post to clarify. (A propos, the boss told me yesterday that he's maybe going to give us an edit function one day. It seems my constant nagging is having the desired effect) ;-)

Those titles of those two articles from Bernama are talking about the percentage rise in the number of new cases.

The one I linked said there was a 72% jump in the number of new cases of chikungunya and a 14% drop in the number of new cases of dengue during one week back in May in Malaysia.

Now it seems there are more new dengue cases than new chikungunya cases. This actually makes more sense because the total number of Dengue cases (in Malaysia) is higher than the total number of chikungunya cases...consequently a mosquito is more likely to bite someone with dengue than someone with chikungunya.

The chikungunya outbreak in Thailand is far worse than the one in Malaysia according to the ECDC. Their last update is almost a month old but on June 9th there were 24,029 reported cases in Thailand and 2,504 reported cases in Malaysia. They have a map showing the distribution of cases too. There are some in Northern Thailand now.

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/Health_topics/Chikungunya_Fever/asia/Default.aspx

There was an article about chilungunya in the Phuket Gazette yesterday too.

"A statistical breakdown by month reveals the outbreak has gotten much worse in the province in recent months. In March and April the incidence rate was less than two cases per 100,000, but jumped dramatically in May (297/100,000) and again in June (1,352/100,000)."

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2009/article7536.html

#7 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 04:04

• paddy

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

Chikangunya is not getting the attention it needs from the world press because there is no vaccine or effective treatment with which the drug companies can make money. If tomorrow they found a vaccine the headlines would be full of the dangers of Chikangunya and the people of the world would be adding to the coffers of the multinational companies who own the drug companies. Swine flu is hardly an epidemic or pandemic given that so few people have contracted it or died from it to date. Regular flu claims 35,000 lives in America every year, 10,000 in England and 100's of 1000's around the world but Swine flu kills 150 worldwide and they call it a pandemic. The drug companies that manufacture the supposed swine flu virus have seen their shareholdings rocket in value. Is there something wrong with this picture"

#8 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 14:13

• paddy

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

Correction
    manufacture swine flu irus vaccine

#9 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 14:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"So the question im asking why is swine flu getting all the press coverage when more people have chikungunya.google chickungya deaths."

I think the primary reason it doesn't get headlines is the same reason why Malaria doesn't get headlines (sorry Paddy, this trashes your theory) or why Dengue doesn't get headlines - it's mosquito born and doesn't affect the northern climates.

In local reporting these diseases DO get headlines.

#10 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 15:23

• Advertisement

• paddy

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

Madmac
    just how is my theory trashed? The world is facing a pandemic of biblical proportions with both the British and French governments preparing for an onslaught of an incurable problem and you say it's trash. What kind of dickhead are you? FYI we do have mozzies in the north and further to that they can be found in the arctic and antarctic. I have been sucked dry many times in London so what are you talking about. If a person infected with Chikangunya visits or returns to Europe and is, in turn, bitten by a a European mozzie then that mozzie will feed its eggs with infected blood who will in turn emerge from the stagnant water filled with the Chikangunya virus ready to pass it on regardless of the weather. So show me the trash

#11 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 20:38

• paddy

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2009

An Asian breed of mosquito capable of carrying the risk of a potentially fatal disease that can be passed from one person to another is poised to invade Britain.

In northern Italy, the Asian tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus) has already established itself - transmitting chikungunya fever to scores of people.

The insect has also been found in a dozen other European countries, including Germany and the Netherlands.

Scientists at the Government's Health Protection Agency (HPA) at Porton Down in Wiltshire found that the UK climate is suitable for the mosquito to breed.

And the finding has left health experts concerned that Britain could be the next country to be invaded.

The Asian tiger mosquito has spread rapidly around the world due to the international trade in used car tyres, which carry the mosquito's eggs in trapped water inside the rim of the tyre.

But, the popularity of lucky bamboo, a Chinese houseplant that is transported in water-filled pots, has also spread the insect through ports such as Rotterdam.

Scientists found that 'widespread establishment' of the Asian tiger mosquito across England and Wales is possible in the warm, damp conditions of the British summer, which would increase the risk of chikungunya fever spreading among the local population.

"The mosquito has popped up across Europe and although we haven't found it yet in the UK, we have identified the potential for it to come here," The Independent quoted a spokesman of the HPA's Porton Down laboratories, as saying.
    During the study, researchers found that there has been a dramatic rise in the number of British people returning from South-east Asia with chikungunya virus over recent years and if the tiger mosquito becomes established here it could create a locally spread epidemic.

People who have chikungunya develop a fever that lasts a couple of days but they go on to suffer intense headaches, joint pains
    and insomnia for days or weeks after they are bitten.

The female mosquito can feed on human blood and is known for her quick, penetrating bite and the fact that she feeds throughout the day, and not just in the evening like many other mosquitoes.

It is also known to transmit dengue fever and can carry about 20 other viral diseases.

Source-ANI
    SPH

#12 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 21:25

• Freespirit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2009

I HAVE CHIKUNGUNYA !
    I seriously hope that all the re-searching i have found on Chikungunya on the internet is wrong.
    It worries me, all I was searching for was a cure.

There are a few strains of chikungunya, the new strain carries MYCOPLASMA

Have so many website's but here are a few below to check out.
    have many more but these will show people have and are dying from chikungunya.

Chikungunya claims 77 lives in Mauritius.
    Chikungunya death toll raises in Madhya pradesh
    REUNION Island in the indian ocean- 266.000 cases of chikungunya 254 were fatal.
    Copy n paste these website's below for more info
    no 3 cdc.gov is very interesting
    1....http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news/Chikungunya-In-Mauritius-Claims-77-Lives-12332-1/

2....http://www.medindia.net/news/Britain-Under-a-Possible-Invasion-of-Chikungunya-37193-1.htm

3....http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/14/3/pdfs/07-0720.pdf

#13 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 22:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"just how is my theory trashed? The world is facing a pandemic of biblical proportions with both the British and French governments preparing for an onslaught of an incurable problem and you say it's trash. What kind of dickhead are you?"

According to some posters here, a major one. But WHEN there is a serious threat of pandemic, THEN it will be news. Until then, it's not. Sorry charlie, that's the way it is. Malaria is not a major problem in anywhere in western Europe, nor is Dengue, nor is Chikungunya - and THAT is why there isn't a lot of reporting on it. Swine flu is problematic, but it reminds poeople of the viral flu epidemic of 1918 and that's why it gets coverage. It's not a conspiracy.

"FYI we do have mozzies in the north and further to that they can be found in the arctic and antarctic. I have been sucked dry many times in London so what are you talking about."

What I'm talking about is the lack of persons infected by Malaria, Dengue or Chikungunya EVER. The numbers in northern climates infected you could fit on the head of a pin. It's a non-issue right now. Prostate cancer - THAT'S an issue. That kills a shitload of poeple in England right now. The influenza epidemic of 1918 killed more people than the first world war. THaT is why swine flu concerns people.

"If a person infected with Chikangunya visits or returns to Europe and is, in turn, bitten by a a European mozzie then that mozzie will feed its eggs with infected blood who will in turn emerge from the stagnant water filled with the Chikangunya virus ready to pass it on regardless of the weather. So show me the trash"

This is incorrect. If this were true, then malaria would be all over England right now. But it's not. HIV would also be transmitted by mosquito bite, but it's not. Only certain types of mosquitos transmit certain types of infections and while it's certainly possible dangerous mosquitos could end up in North America or Northern Europe in numbers to be concerned about, right now, the numbers don't justify any panic or major news coverage.

#14 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 00:48

• garrylord

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2011

Chikungunya is a viral disease that is spread by mosquitoes. It causes fever and severe joint pain. Other symptoms include muscle pain, headache, nausea. But you can avoid this stage by making your peripherical clean.

Chikungunya

#15 Posted: 30/11/2011 - 12:50

• phishsticks

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

For those who said they are suffering from this virus, here is a good article that suggests some Homepathic remedies/cures for Chikungunya that you might want to look into.
    http://www.medindia.net/alternativemedicine/homeopathy/chickungunya_print.htm

#16 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 09:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.