• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

This may interest those planning on purchasing their malarial prevention meds in SE Asia, as well as those going into malarial areas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8073118.stm

#1 Posted: 29/5/2009 - 22:00

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I already read about this in the malaria journal over a year ago. Dunno why the media took so long to pick up on it! There have been a couple of good papers this year though.

http://www.malariajournal.com/content/8/1/31

Resistance was very predictable. The Thai Cambodian border area has one of the worst drug resistant malaria problems in the world. They've been using artemisia derivatives as monotherapy for 30 years in Cambodia and then in 2000 they switched to artemisia derivative+mefloquine....

Why that was supposed to help I do not know, because there was already widespread resistance to mefloquine at the time.

There is no such thing as malaria prophylaxis. Malaria prevention drugs just treat you quick as soon as you get the malaria parasites in your blood. For some reason, doxycycline still seems to prevent you getting ill from malaria if you want to take something...as long as you take it exactly as instructed at the same time of day every day and don't miss any doses...(Can you guarantee you can do that? I can't!) ;-) You may develop malaria once you get home if you stop taking doxycycline too soon though.

Doxycycline also causes photo-sensitivity in some people and it can stop contraceptive pills working.

I don't think there's much resistance to Malarone in Cambodia because it isn't sold locally and it's far too expensive for the locals. It's too expensive for backpackers like me as prophylaxis as well... each pill costs about 4 euros.

12 pills is a treatment dose however if you want to carry some with you. But much better to go to a hospital than self treat with Malarone...you need to get a blood test to see what type of malaria it is and rule out Dengue etc. Malarone is for when you can't get to a decent hospital.

#2 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 07:18

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Tilapia

A post on this subject was also was placed on 'Cambodia'.

For those interested in a detailed explanation, go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/6374_malaria-resistance

Cheers

#3 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 18:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.