Health and safety forum

cover up?

• xontros

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2009

two weeks before i leave for Thailand and Laos and I started getting concerned with mosquitos and staff.

I realise that I have to cover up and use DEET but covering up is not always possible. For example when on the beach or when its really hot.

What do you think? Do I worry too much? Is it ok if I use DEET with my sunscreen?
    I m trying to estimate whether I am minimising the problem or exagerrating.
    Nevertheless my last trip to Singapore was more stress free when I didn't know all this information.

#1 Posted: 14/6/2009 - 20:25

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

xontros
    I would say you are worrying too much. I don't cover up, don't use repellent, I've lived here over two years, and I haven't contracted a thing. Of course, Mosquitos don't seem to like me much...

#2 Posted: 14/6/2009 - 20:53

• alex16103

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

xontros,

I've just been to Vietnam and Laos, and have also been to SEA before and unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky ones like MADMAC and the mozzies do go for me!

Best thing is just to be sensible, don't worry yourself too much. You can use repellent with sunscreen, just remember to put on the sunscreen first! Try to wear trousers and long sleeves at night. When you're out there you can get clothes with really thin material so you shouldn't get too hot.

If you're going to be sitting outside at bars etc you could always take a coil with you, the smoke keeps them away. Depends how far you want to go. Even so you're still likely to pick up a few bites, but if you know you've been careful that's all you can do.

Alex

#3 Posted: 15/6/2009 - 20:19

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

I dont worry too much about mozzies in the daytime. At night I use repellent if I have it.

I've been bitten hundreds of times and never gotten sick. The itching just pisses me off.

#4 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 01:25

• xontros

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2009

thanks guys
    I m more at ease now

#5 Posted: 16/6/2009 - 21:43

• Freespirit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2009

I live in phuket Thailand, and now have chikungunya a virus from a mosquito bite. This chickungunya mosquito bites in day time so be very careful if traveling in the south of Thailand, phuket has a big proplem at the moment from chikungunya. Clove oil is also being used as a repellent for stoping mozzies bite.
    Also you can buy mosquito repellent arm bands at any local Thai pharmacy. Try and stay away from jungle areas and rubber plantations in the south of Thailand.

#6 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 23:29

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey xontros,

here are a few tips i lifted from a Travelfish feature talking about pretty much this same topic. they are:

Listen to your Grandma -- An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The best way to avoid being afflicted by malaria ((or other mosquito-borne diseased)) is to avoid being bitten by mosquitos and there are a number of simple steps one can take to dramatically reduce the chances of being bitten. These include:

a) Use a permethrin impregnated mosquito net
    b) Use mosquito repellent containing DEET
    c) Dress sensibly -- wear long pants and sleeves at dawn and dusk.
    d) Use mosquito coils or other anti-mosquito devices (e.g.., citronella) as a secondary control.
    e) If you are prone to being bitten, lean towards accommodation that can be sealed up -- air-con with no slatted windows nor open eaves.
    f) Watch out for rooms with bucket showers/toilets. These tend to have buckets of stagnant water -- a mozzie's beach resort -- in the bathroom.
    g) Don't sleep naked in a swamp.

i don't know about that last tip, but the others have helped me stay relatively bite-free in southeast Asia. dawn and dusk is definitely the time i've been attacked the most.

hope that helps. cheers.

#7 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 01:07

• Freespirit

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2009

exacto
    I agree your tip is spot on..But there are mozzie's with the chikungunya virus that feed, bite in the day time ! as well as other virus spreading mozzie's..Yes the mozzie's do come out at sunset to feed.
    But we have always had mozzie's feeding in the day time too !
    I have been living in Thailand for 15 years now, traveling Asia for 25 year's. So know for a fact that mozzie's bite in the day time..The tip i added is a Thai local tip about clove oil.
    I have chickungunya and wouldnt wish this on anyone..Very painful
    check out all chickungunya posts for more info

#8 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 01:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi Freespirit,

i can't take credit for my last post, as i was only cutting and pasting some advice from elsewhere on the website. i saw your warning above about day-biting mozzies, but didn't think i needed to repeat it. i imagine wearing mozzie spray during the day would adress that, don't you? but i'd definitely suggest taking extra precautions, like extra spray and covering up, including pants or something that covers ankles, around dawn and dusk.

sorry to hear about your case of chickungunya. hope you recover quickly. regards.

#9 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 03:07

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi

To those reading this post, use DEET at your peril.

I have posted a comment about DEET on this Forum topic. If you value your body, go read it at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelhealth/3962_deet-or-picaridn-

Cheers

#10 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 09:21

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Deet is great for equipment, but should not be applied to the body in any kind of quantity. Bruce is absolutely correct here. It's good for coating mosquito netting, spraying on the externals of boots... not healthy as a repellent on skin.

#11 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 17:29

• eezi

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2009

Hi!
    Can someone tell me which vacuums should I take for a trip to Thailand this year?

Thanks for your replies.

[color=silver]___________________________________________________
    [url=http://www.carhire-spain.com]your car hire in Spain[/url] [size=75]book quickly online[/size][/color]

#12 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 18:43

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

eezi

You wrote "Can someone tell me which vacuums should I take for a trip to Thailand this year?.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by 'vacuums'.

cheers

#13 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 19:43

• eezi

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2009

sorry , its vaccine

#14 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 20:59

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

eezi

I don't know where you live, or what vaccines you have already been given. I'd suggest you go consult your own doctor.

The doctor will give you qualified medical advice.

Recently on Travelfish, another person made a post telling us what his/her doctor had recommended. The person listed the vaccines, etc., and asked for advice, it was freely given.

So, go see a doctor, and if in doubt list what the doctor suggested, and ask here.

Cheers

#15 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 07:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

When I moved to Thailand I was retiring from the Army - I got the pin cushion treatment!

#16 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 12:06

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

John

Was that a series of purple hearts...

Cheers

#17 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 12:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.