Health and safety forum

hay fever

• buecax

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2009

hi all,

i am allergic to grass pollen (hay fever).

i will be travelling to north vietnam / laos / cambodia during the rain season in september / october. does anybody know if i will have trouble with hay fever there as well?

since hay fever is pretty common, maybe i can get some first-hand advice from a fellow sufferer.

cheers,
    axel

#1 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 14:45

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi Buecax - I have been known to suffer badly from hay fever at times (in NZ) and travelled through Thai/Cambodia last year during May/Jun without any problem. I understand you are going at a different time, but with that being the rainy season, you will probably be OK since the rain helps to dampen down the pollens.

#2 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 15:59

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

buecax

As Lisa indicates/infers, the pollen season is just as the grasses (yes, rice is a grass) matures and starts to flower.

Even so, I doubt that rice pollen will aggravate your hay fever as the pollen size is quite large (compared to the rye grasses that are typically the problem).

Also paracetamol (panadol) helps to stabalise the glands that react to pollen. So, if you get a reaction, take some paracetamol (won't stop, but helps diminish).

Cheers

#3 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 19:30

• buecax

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2009

thanks guys!

i better take some of my usual hay fever medication with me then.

#4 Posted: 17/7/2009 - 19:56

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

I am a seasonal allergy sufferer (hay fever) as well as asthmatic and while I would never travel anywhere without meds I find that I don't need to talk them when I'm in the region, regardless of time of year or even pollution levels in places like Bangkok and Chiang Mai, a real relief not to be so depended on meds, esp. for the asthma.

#5 Posted: 19/7/2009 - 21:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.