Health and safety forum

Question for the Ladies... Gentlemen Don't Bother

• justdroppin-
    gby

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

Pretty simple. I'm going to be traveling in Southeast Asia for a few months and I'm concerned that my period is going to be a huge pain. Is it a big deal? Has anybody ever used the Pill to stop their cycle temporarily? I heard you can do that.

#1 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 06:50

• Advertisement

• crazycyclin-
    ggirl

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2009

I love cycle touring and especially around SEAsia. Having your period while touring is not a lot of fun :(. I regularly use contraceptive pill to delay my period for up to 6 months at a time. You simply take the small hormone pills without a break. ie. don't take the larger non-hormone pills. Talk to your Dr if you have any questions. But it is perfectly fine to skip your period. Alternatively, do bring tampons with you as these can be hard to get away from major cities.

#2 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 07:56

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

justdroppingby

Given the comments to date here on Travelfish, apparently I'm no gentleman.

So, you want to temporarily stop your biological clock for a couple of months using chemicals so that you can 'enjoy' your holiday unhindered.

Mmmm...

While this sounds like a Y-gen question, nevertheless here are some references...

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1131036

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070102102016.htm

http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/quot-new-pill-promises-no-more-periods-quot/508197

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/05/AR2006060500845.html

http://www.funadvice.com/q/how_to_stop_menstural_cycle

When reading, please take the time to consider two issues (1) the wellbeing of the drug industry as it promotes its products to enhance profit, and (2) your personal wellbeing: look at the known and possible risks of taking drugs. At the end of the day, it's your body, and you have to live with side effects (short and long term). So, only you can make the choice.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 07:58

• sammib

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2004

It's not a big deal, but you might want to start a couple of months before your trip (and still allow a few periods while you are at home). You can have some side effects particularly the first month or two that make you feel a bit rotten -- like nausea, bloating etc, but they usually clear up. You should ideally see a doctor before you start, just to check a few standard things that are contraindicated by the pill.

#4 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 08:28

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's not necessarily a big deal, but I do think it depends on how bad they are.

My preference (over taking the pill) is to just lay low on the heaviest days, and pop the odd panadol to ease cramps if they get too bad. You will want to avoid any long-distance travel on the those days as that can end up being a bit stressful!

And as stated above, be sure to carry plenty of tampons to see you through (for peace of mind, if nothing else!).

If you do decide to 'stop' your periods, just be sure to do your research first, and know what sort of side effects you can expect. Be wary of unexpected mid-period spotting, etc.

#5 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 15:49

• SophieAlice-

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi girls,

Bruce; I enjoy reading your posts and I think you are an asset to the site but you could have at least stayed out of this one, come on man!

Ive tried a few contraceptive pills (microgynon 30 in particular)but most have side effects and tend to mess up your cycle for months after you've stopped using it. One main side effect with the ones Ive had was a major increase in appetite. some do make your periods lighter and less painful but they all effect women in different ways -its really a case of trial and error so it would probably be best to try one out at home for a few months first.

As far as I know, you are meant to stop taking the pill on the days when you are on your period and so the only way to stop your period completely would be to continue taking it all the way through your cycle which is not recommended other than as a one off (according to my doctor).

All in all, I have yet to try one that makes it any easier. plus, its difficult to remember to take it EVERY single day, especially travelling (theres also the added burden of carrying your supply).

#6 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 23:15

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You can buy birth control pills without a prescription in Thailand at any pharmacy. I've bought them in Vietnam and Cambodia, but it was bit harder.

Anyway, I do the continuous pill-taking thing for 3-4 months (then do 1 week off to get my period -- I find it reassuring). It's perfectly safe to skip periods for a few months (the brand "Seasonale" is continous pill-taking for 3 months). In fact, there's actually some research indicating that modern women have too many periods than nature really intended us to (cuz we can control our fertility and aren't knocked up all the time) and it can have effects on health like anemia.

#7 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 00:58

• beemeers

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2007
    Location Canada

Look into Nuvaring. You can skip up to 3 or 4 periods while using it and you don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday. I have had no problems with it (3 years).

#8 Posted: 28/10/2009 - 01:50

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

I don't know about side effects, however the stupid pills started my period and prolonged it, through the wedding. Not happy! I would definitely suggest starting any medication before you go so you can adjust as necessary.

#9 Posted: 29/11/2009 - 22:45

• nips2689

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2009

I am on the mini-pill at the moment which you never have a break from it is continuous for 30days and then you start the next pack..
    I am due to get the implant this month which has exactly the same hormone as Cerazette (mini-Pill) it means i wont have to take pills, wont have periods while im away and if i get an upset stomache it is still effective. Also you can take Malaria Tabelts while on either of these.

Something to think about if you dont want a period while your away...

#10 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 23:35

• Advertisement

• cKristina

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2010

Personally, I do not think it will be a major issue!

#11 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 11:09

• humph

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2010

I skip periods as a matter of course with the pill, I have only 6 a year. This started by skipping for holidays and then I realised that I could do it all the time. I tried to skip 2 months (ie miss 2 periods) and I got spotting, but my doctor said that some ladies can do it successfully. I would try it out before you go away to see what your body does. My doctor also agreed with idreamofdurien and said that skipping can help reduce calcium loss. I use Brevinor or it's cheaper option.

#12 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 20:05

• bluebelle

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2010

Just came across this thread, a bit late but thought I'd add my views to it anyway.

Firstly, the bleed you get when on the combined pill is artificial, it's not a "real" period anyway. Stopping it should not cause you any harm, and most negative opinions about it are simply because it seems "unnatural" - however, as someone already pointed out, woman have more periods now than before as we have fewer children and begin menstruating younger.

Secondly, I'm on cerazette, and have not had a bleed since I began taking it over 3 years ago. Every pill has different side effects on different people, but I hope to stay on it until I want kids as I have no periods and no side effects. It makes travelling significantly easier, but take time to find one that suits your body.

Lastly, remember that some medications you may have to take while you're away (anti-malarials, antibiotics etc) will interfere with the hormones, and therefore your periods. It would be a disaster to suffer the side effects of a pill to stop your periods, only to have them reappear unexpectedly when you take your anti-malaria tablets!!)However, this is not true of cerazette, another reason to give it a good try! ;)

#13 Posted: 25/5/2010 - 06:29

• MBTlover520

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010

Has anybody ever used the Pill to stop their cycle temporarily? I heard you can do that.

#14 Posted: 14/7/2010 - 14:15

• noladenett

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2010

Why not just try the Diva Cup?

http://www.divacup.com/

#15 Posted: 19/11/2010 - 01:03

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Definitely agree about the divacup/mooncup. sounds gross but really is good. if youre going to buy it id start using it 3/4 months before you leave so you can get used to it

#16 Posted: 28/12/2010 - 02:26

• danceswithr-
    ose

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2010
    Total reviews: 6

Hi Im over here at the mo and have been here for 3 months. You can buy sanitary gear anywhere - its not an issue. Don't go doing anything you don't have to.

#17 Posted: 28/12/2010 - 16:07

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Also gotta vouch for the Divacup / Mooncup. Not only will you never have to buy a tampond again, it's good for the environment too!

FSH

#18 Posted: 29/12/2010 - 00:05

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

It sounds like big cities are really the only places to get tampons. Any more comments on that? I'd rather not travel with 4 months of supplies and can't use the Divacup...
    Also, accessibility to condoms?
    Easy to find, again maybe only in big cities?

thank you

#19 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 12:55

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

quick mooncup question for you ladies, regarding sanitary water- how safe is it to clean your mooncup in tap water in se asia? i cant decide whether to use mine or skip periods while travelling for the next two months. do you just clean with boiled/bottled water? thanks alot x

#20 Posted: 5/7/2011 - 00:57

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

I wouldn't hesitate using tap water for my mooncup the same way I wouldn't hesitate using it to rinse my toothbrush. I think the chances of catching anything nasty must be so close to nil it would be pointless bothering with boiled water & the likes.

Have fun,

FSH

#21 Posted: 5/7/2011 - 01:24

• DGA

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2012

Guys - do you research on what the hormones are actually doing to your body. The 'bleeding' you get on a pill is not a real period. The contraceptive pill companies inserted a week of sugar pills because women couldn't get used to the idea of not bleeding once a month. http://www.womhealth.org.au/healthjourney/pill_myths_misconceptions.htm

I'm on Cerazette, been on it for 2 years now. I've found it to be brilliant. No sugar pills.

Bruce, I suspect this means you'd be against the pill generally then? 'Stopping biological clock' and all that tosh...

When men get left with the results of not taking care of contraception in the way women do, I'll bother to listen to what they have to say about it.

#22 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 07:43

• monkeygirl

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2012

i know how you feel, me too when period time, it is always cramps.
    base on my experience, it is easy just take 'pain killer' to stop the pain, take when you have the 'first blood' hehe and next you will less pain.

i suggest don't take medical pills to postpone your period, it is hormonal, and love your body. I think painkiller is enough.

the important part is : JUST enjoy your travel, and forget the worries :)

#23 Posted: 2/6/2012 - 00:31

• Maryanne

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2013

I would have to agree, taking pills to delay your cycle just messes up your whole biological clock, travelling certainly takes its toll on the body, crossing time zones and messing with your Arcadian clocks are already enough.
    For me its not a big deal, its a period, its no big deal. A few cramps and few extra trips to the bathroom. But that's just me.

#24 Posted: 19/6/2013 - 05:11

• sunshinehap-
    py

Joined Travelfish
    28th May, 2013

Get a menstrual cup! They are so great, I will never go back to tampons again. Meluna do a cheap version. Takes a cycle or two to get used to it, but you will love it after that! You don't need to rinse it every time you empty it, just pop it back in and wash your hands. Just sterilize it in a cup or pot of boiling water when you get a chance and you're set. Or you can buy tablets and soaps for them, but I find boiling water is the best way. And they weigh hardly anything and take up almost no room

#25 Posted: 21/6/2013 - 01:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hair Extensions in Bangkok - Ladies Question! ... By drewebear on 15 May 2013 3 3860 19 Jun 2013
Waxing availability in SE Asia??? Question for Ladies. ... By phishsticks on 11 Nov 2011 4 4186 22 Nov 2011