Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

Question for the Ladies... Gentlemen Don't Bother

Posted by justdroppingby on 25/8/2009 at 06:50

Pretty simple. I'm going to be traveling in Southeast Asia for a few months and I'm concerned that my period is going to be a huge pain. Is it a big deal? Has anybody ever used the Pill to stop their cycle temporarily? I heard you can do that.

#1 justdroppingby has been a member since 25/8/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by crazycyclinggirl on 25/8/2009 at 07:56

I love cycle touring and especially around SEAsia. Having your period while touring is not a lot of fun :(. I regularly use contraceptive pill to delay my period for up to 6 months at a time. You simply take the small hormone pills without a break. ie. don't take the larger non-hormone pills. Talk to your Dr if you have any questions. But it is perfectly fine to skip your period. Alternatively, do bring tampons with you as these can be hard to get away from major cities.

#2 crazycyclinggirl has been a member since 25/8/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by BruceMoon on 25/8/2009 at 07:58

justdroppingby

Given the comments to date here on Travelfish, apparently I'm no gentleman.

So, you want to temporarily stop your biological clock for a couple of months using chemicals so that you can 'enjoy' your holiday unhindered.

Mmmm...

While this sounds like a Y-gen question, nevertheless here are some references...

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1131036

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070102102016.htm

http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/quot-new-pill-promises-no-more-periods-quot/508197

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/05/AR2006060500845.html

http://www.funadvice.com/q/how_to_stop_menstural_cycle

When reading, please take the time to consider two issues (1) the wellbeing of the drug industry as it promotes its products to enhance profit, and (2) your personal wellbeing: look at the known and possible risks of taking drugs. At the end of the day, it's your body, and you have to live with side effects (short and long term). So, only you can make the choice.

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by sammib on 25/8/2009 at 08:28

It's not a big deal, but you might want to start a couple of months before your trip (and still allow a few periods while you are at home). You can have some side effects particularly the first month or two that make you feel a bit rotten -- like nausea, bloating etc, but they usually clear up. You should ideally see a doctor before you start, just to check a few standard things that are contraindicated by the pill.

#4 sammib has been a member since 9/2/2004. Posts: 9

Posted by busylizzy on 25/8/2009 at 15:49

It's not necessarily a big deal, but I do think it depends on how bad they are.

My preference (over taking the pill) is to just lay low on the heaviest days, and pop the odd panadol to ease cramps if they get too bad. You will want to avoid any long-distance travel on the those days as that can end up being a bit stressful!

And as stated above, be sure to carry plenty of tampons to see you through (for peace of mind, if nothing else!).

If you do decide to 'stop' your periods, just be sure to do your research first, and know what sort of side effects you can expect. Be wary of unexpected mid-period spotting, etc.

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by SophieAlice363 on 2/10/2009 at 23:15

Hi girls,

Bruce; I enjoy reading your posts and I think you are an asset to the site but you could have at least stayed out of this one, come on man!

Ive tried a few contraceptive pills (microgynon 30 in particular)but most have side effects and tend to mess up your cycle for months after you've stopped using it. One main side effect with the ones Ive had was a major increase in appetite. some do make your periods lighter and less painful but they all effect women in different ways -its really a case of trial and error so it would probably be best to try one out at home for a few months first.

As far as I know, you are meant to stop taking the pill on the days when you are on your period and so the only way to stop your period completely would be to continue taking it all the way through your cycle which is not recommended other than as a one off (according to my doctor).

All in all, I have yet to try one that makes it any easier. plus, its difficult to remember to take it EVERY single day, especially travelling (theres also the added burden of carrying your supply).

#6 SophieAlice363 has been a member since 11/8/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 12

Posted by idreamofdurian on 3/10/2009 at 00:58 TF writer

You can buy birth control pills without a prescription in Thailand at any pharmacy. I've bought them in Vietnam and Cambodia, but it was bit harder.

Anyway, I do the continuous pill-taking thing for 3-4 months (then do 1 week off to get my period -- I find it reassuring). It's perfectly safe to skip periods for a few months (the brand "Seasonale" is continous pill-taking for 3 months). In fact, there's actually some research indicating that modern women have too many periods than nature really intended us to (cuz we can control our fertility and aren't knocked up all the time) and it can have effects on health like anemia.

#7 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by beemeers on 28/10/2009 at 01:50

Look into Nuvaring. You can skip up to 3 or 4 periods while using it and you don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday. I have had no problems with it (3 years).

#8 beemeers has been a member since 26/11/2007. Location: Canada. Posts: 15

Posted by Missis on 29/11/2009 at 22:45

I don't know about side effects, however the stupid pills started my period and prolonged it, through the wedding. Not happy! I would definitely suggest starting any medication before you go so you can adjust as necessary.

#9 Missis has been a member since 6/8/2009. Posts: 30

Posted by nips2689 on 10/1/2010 at 23:35

I am on the mini-pill at the moment which you never have a break from it is continuous for 30days and then you start the next pack..
I am due to get the implant this month which has exactly the same hormone as Cerazette (mini-Pill) it means i wont have to take pills, wont have periods while im away and if i get an upset stomache it is still effective. Also you can take Malaria Tabelts while on either of these.

Something to think about if you dont want a period while your away...

#10 nips2689 has been a member since 21/12/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by cKristina on 14/1/2010 at 11:09

Personally, I do not think it will be a major issue!

#11 cKristina has been a member since 11/1/2010. Posts: 3
 Website 

Posted by humph on 14/1/2010 at 20:05

I skip periods as a matter of course with the pill, I have only 6 a year. This started by skipping for holidays and then I realised that I could do it all the time. I tried to skip 2 months (ie miss 2 periods) and I got spotting, but my doctor said that some ladies can do it successfully. I would try it out before you go away to see what your body does. My doctor also agreed with idreamofdurien and said that skipping can help reduce calcium loss. I use Brevinor or it's cheaper option.

#12 humph has been a member since 14/1/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by bluebelle on 25/5/2010 at 06:29

Just came across this thread, a bit late but thought I'd add my views to it anyway.

Firstly, the bleed you get when on the combined pill is artificial, it's not a "real" period anyway. Stopping it should not cause you any harm, and most negative opinions about it are simply because it seems "unnatural" - however, as someone already pointed out, woman have more periods now than before as we have fewer children and begin menstruating younger.

Secondly, I'm on cerazette, and have not had a bleed since I began taking it over 3 years ago. Every pill has different side effects on different people, but I hope to stay on it until I want kids as I have no periods and no side effects. It makes travelling significantly easier, but take time to find one that suits your body.

Lastly, remember that some medications you may have to take while you're away (anti-malarials, antibiotics etc) will interfere with the hormones, and therefore your periods. It would be a disaster to suffer the side effects of a pill to stop your periods, only to have them reappear unexpectedly when you take your anti-malaria tablets!!)However, this is not true of cerazette, another reason to give it a good try! ;)

#13 bluebelle has been a member since 13/4/2010. Posts: 15

Posted by MBTlover520 on 14/7/2010 at 14:15

Has anybody ever used the Pill to stop their cycle temporarily? I heard you can do that.

#14 MBTlover520 has been a member since 1/6/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by noladenett on 19/11/2010 at 01:03

Why not just try the Diva Cup?

http://www.divacup.com/

#15 noladenett has been a member since 11/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by andrea13 on 28/12/2010 at 02:26

Definitely agree about the divacup/mooncup. sounds gross but really is good. if youre going to buy it id start using it 3/4 months before you leave so you can get used to it

#16 andrea13 has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 31

Posted by danceswithrose on 28/12/2010 at 16:07

Hi Im over here at the mo and have been here for 3 months. You can buy sanitary gear anywhere - its not an issue. Don't go doing anything you don't have to.

#17 danceswithrose has been a member since 12/10/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by francesstella on 29/12/2010 at 00:05

Also gotta vouch for the Divacup / Mooncup. Not only will you never have to buy a tampond again, it's good for the environment too!

FSH

#18 francesstella has been a member since 16/2/2009. Location: Italy. Posts: 95

Posted by heddenswest on 26/1/2011 at 12:55

It sounds like big cities are really the only places to get tampons. Any more comments on that? I'd rather not travel with 4 months of supplies and can't use the Divacup...
Also, accessibility to condoms?
Easy to find, again maybe only in big cities?

thank you

#19 heddenswest has been a member since 7/1/2011. Posts: 32

Posted by andrea13 on 5/7/2011 at 00:57

quick mooncup question for you ladies, regarding sanitary water- how safe is it to clean your mooncup in tap water in se asia? i cant decide whether to use mine or skip periods while travelling for the next two months. do you just clean with boiled/bottled water? thanks alot x

#20 andrea13 has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 31

Posted by francesstella on 5/7/2011 at 01:24

I wouldn't hesitate using tap water for my mooncup the same way I wouldn't hesitate using it to rinse my toothbrush. I think the chances of catching anything nasty must be so close to nil it would be pointless bothering with boiled water & the likes.

Have fun,

FSH

#21 francesstella has been a member since 16/2/2009. Location: Italy. Posts: 95

Posted by DGA on 15/3/2012 at 07:43

Guys - do you research on what the hormones are actually doing to your body. The 'bleeding' you get on a pill is not a real period. The contraceptive pill companies inserted a week of sugar pills because women couldn't get used to the idea of not bleeding once a month. http://www.womhealth.org.au/healthjourney/pill_myths_misconceptions.htm

I'm on Cerazette, been on it for 2 years now. I've found it to be brilliant. No sugar pills.

Bruce, I suspect this means you'd be against the pill generally then? 'Stopping biological clock' and all that tosh...

When men get left with the results of not taking care of contraception in the way women do, I'll bother to listen to what they have to say about it.

#22 DGA has been a member since 15/3/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by monkeygirl on 2/6/2012 at 00:31

i know how you feel, me too when period time, it is always cramps.
base on my experience, it is easy just take 'pain killer' to stop the pain, take when you have the 'first blood' hehe and next you will less pain.

i suggest don't take medical pills to postpone your period, it is hormonal, and love your body. I think painkiller is enough.

the important part is : JUST enjoy your travel, and forget the worries :)

#23 monkeygirl has been a member since 1/6/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by Maryanne on 19/6/2013 at 05:11

I would have to agree, taking pills to delay your cycle just messes up your whole biological clock, travelling certainly takes its toll on the body, crossing time zones and messing with your Arcadian clocks are already enough.
For me its not a big deal, its a period, its no big deal. A few cramps and few extra trips to the bathroom. But that's just me.

#24 Maryanne has been a member since 19/6/2013. Posts: 17

Posted by sunshinehappy on 21/6/2013 at 01:42

Get a menstrual cup! They are so great, I will never go back to tampons again. Meluna do a cheap version. Takes a cycle or two to get used to it, but you will love it after that! You don't need to rinse it every time you empty it, just pop it back in and wash your hands. Just sterilize it in a cup or pot of boiling water when you get a chance and you're set. Or you can buy tablets and soaps for them, but I find boiling water is the best way. And they weigh hardly anything and take up almost no room

#25 sunshinehappy has been a member since 28/5/2013. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.