Health and safety forum

Drinking water

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Is the water safe in Vietnam to drink? I have only ever been to Thailand and I was repeatedly warned not to drink the water there.

I mistakenly nibbled on a lettuce leaf or two that was a garnish for a dish and had reason why you shouldn't drink the water honed into me with the "after experience" with this simple mistake.

Is it the same in Vietnam? Should I be wary of drinking water and of fruits and salads that may have been washed in tap water??

#1 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 08:45

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I haven't been to Vietnam yet, but I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't drink the tap water - plan to buy bottled water.

In terms of salads - I confess to not paying much attention to this advice as I do miss my greens when travelling. When presented with any form of salad in Thailand, Cambodia (last year) I happily munched away on anything green, and had 2-3 fresh fruit shakes mixed with ice eacy day, and didn't have a single stomach issue.

I am doing the same now in Bali (for all of 2 days so far, but did the same when I was last here many years ago). Maybe I'm just lucky to have a cast iron stomach. Or maybe my luck will run out now that I've said that :-/

Having said that - it doesn't mean it's good advice, it may just mean that I've been lucky!

I guess the best advice is to err on the side of caution, which means do as I say, not as I do!

#2 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 20:58

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I'm with Bizzylizzy on the greens. I eat heaping plates full in Laos and Thailand, every time they're offered. So fresh, so much more taste! Been doing it for years, never a problem. I shake the water off just like the locals do. Speaking of which that's a good way to tell if things are safe, locals are humans too, if they can eat it so can I.

#3 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 21:58

• furneburner

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Wow, i've never even thought about eating greens...

but i get the green apple splatters all the time...maybe thats my problem..

#4 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 05:36

• Puggles

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks for the replies. :)

With my sensitivity to this kind of thing, I think I'll play it safe and keep to the 'no tap water' rule. I don;t want to ruin my holiday in any way.

#5 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 06:46

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Puggles - in spite of my good luck in Thailand and Cambodia last year, I think you should presume that you WILL get an upset stomach (to put it mildly!) somewhere along the way. That's my philosophy, anyhow. Expect it, and when it happens, just plan to take it easy for a few days to ride it out and don't try any major travelling.

I carry a small amount of meds to deal with it, just in case.

#6 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 07:05

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Upset stomach. Look at it as "colon detox". A lot of people pay good money to come here and have that done on purpose at a high dollar spa.

#7 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 08:33

• Puggles

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

lol @ neosho :)

busylizzy - thanks, I am planning to pack a few odds and ends to alleviate the problem if I experience it.

#8 Posted: 30/9/2009 - 06:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.